We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the fees now for the NWR and the beach?

Which Chincoteague Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
reviews: 17
What are the fees now for the NWR and the beach?

Just wondering if somebody can update me on what the fees are now...I am thinking it is still $5.00 for the daily pass to go to the wildlife refuge or $15.00 for a weekly pass. Then to drive a little further to go to the beach, is there now another fee? Parking fee? We are taking a little 4-day trip over Memorial Day and am curious if we will be paying a fee now to spend a few hours on the beach. Thanks!

Bruceton Mills...
reviews: 3
1. Re: What are the fees now for the NWR and the beach?

According to the NPS website you have the correct prices. There is no mention of a price for parking so I assume there is none.

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
reviews: 13
2. Re: What are the fees now for the NWR and the beach?

Hi- I believe that the daily pass is increasing from $5 to $8, although I'm not sure when the increase is going into effect. I would suggest you think of buying a Duck Stamp for $15. That gives you free access, not only to the Chincoteague Refuge, but to all US refuges for an entire year AND the proceeds go to support wetland conservation. The new 2010-11 stamps are available now at any post office or on-line. You can also buy a duck stamp as you enter the refuge. Also - there is no entrance fee if you come by bike or on foot, and the fee is also usually waived when there is a lecture or some other program being presented at the Refuge Center.

Herminie, PA
reviews: 34
3. Re: What are the fees now for the NWR and the beach?

Hello,

My wife and I were there just last week and you are correct on pricing. The entrance fee from the Virginia side is $5.00 per day or $15.00 for the week, and that fee covers both the Refuge and National Seashore. Parking is free. Going after Memorial Day is smart, as is the four day span, because everything will be fully open. The Beebe Ranch (Misty's home) was closed and the Misty Memories Museum at the Pony Centre was not yet open. (The Centre ponies do like to nibble on hands.) However, regarding the Refuge, DO TAKE BUG REPELLENT (see my Refuge review), DO the Wildlife Loop (all times by foot, by car after 3:00pm)and DON'T miss the Wildlife Bus Tour sponsored by the Chincoteague Natural History Association ($12.00 each, www.piping-plover.com). It truly IS your best chance to see the Chincoteague Ponies up close.

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 17
4. Re: What are the fees now for the NWR and the beach?

Thanks all...We have been to Chincoteague & Assateague a hundred times, and were just wondering if rumors of the fee increase this year were true. I didn't want to get caught going to the beach with 2 bucks in my pocket and find out it's $10 a day to park. THANKS AGAIN!

5. Re: What are the fees now for the NWR and the beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 17, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island