We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in Chesterfield County!

Which Chesterfield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melton Mowbray...
Living in Chesterfield County!

I am hoping to move from England and live in Virginia later this year. I have a job offer in Richmond and have been told that Chesterfield County would be a good place to live. I'm a single parent with 2 boys aged 10 & 11 who will bw coming over with me.

Any help or advice on areas to live, Schools Etc. would be very grateful. Thanks.

Richmond, VA
1. Re: Living in Chesterfield County!

Hello, I'm in Hanover, VA> about 20 minutes outside (north) of Richmond. This is a great area! ALL OF IT! I used to work in Chesterfield> also great! I recommend Hanover or Chesterfield for quality of life and schools. Chesterfield is more built up, busier, can be a headache to get to from Richmond> conjested commute from Richmond. Depending on where you work/live, both areas are the same distance. Hanover is still somewhat quiet. We are building up fast, but have mantained a rural feel. I grew up here, and I recently moved back. My husband and I wanted our kids to go to school here, and I enjoy the astmosphere better. I enjoy being 20 minutes outside the city, and 2 hours to the mountains, beach, or Washington DC> take your pick! I guess it depends on what you are looking for. good luck in your search and move!

reviews: 1
2. Re: Living in Chesterfield County!

Hi, I live in Ashland, Va. 15 miles north of Richmond in Hanover County. I moved here 13 yrs ago and love it here. Ashland is a small little town but the surrounding county has everything to offer. I would suggest that you locate in the west end of Richmond as the south and east is very congested and has more crime. There are loads of new homes and developements in Hanover County, constantly expanding. Ashland is just 5 miles from a huge mall, and has 25 restaurants within a couple miles. The school system in Hanover county is very highly rated. Everything is so convenient, banking, groceries etc. There is a love of gardening and animals in this area.

We are only 90 from Wash. D.C. and 2 hours from beaches.

I would strongly suggest you stay clear of Chesterfield as the traffic congestion and crime is a deterrent. Joyce

Chesterfield, VA
3. Re: Living in Chesterfield County!

The previous post regarding Chesterfield crime is misleading. While there are areas of Chesterfield that are plagued by crime, the writer fails to clarify that this is a very large county and areas of crime are isolated. If you visit our local newspaper website for daily news (Richmond Times-Dispatch), you will find that crime in and around Richmond is not concentrated in the counties....but rather in the downtown areas. Growith in Chesterfield county IS booming. However....so is growth in the West End (Henrico County). Traffic in parts of Chesterfield county is horrible....but horrific traffic is not by any means exclusive to Chesterfield. Driving on the east, west and north sides of Richmond are equally nighmarish! My childen attend Chesterfield schools and I am very pleased with their education. There are also many very good private schools in the area (check out Millwood School). I would encourage you to look over the Chesterfield County website as well. You will find a vast amount of information regarding tax rate, government structure, schools, areas of interest, and real estate information. My next door neighbor....and several other families who live in our subdivision (Hampton Park)....are England natives. All are very happy here in the county. The best way to find the right home for you and your children would be to visit! Richmond and surrounding counties are rich in history, convenient to other places of interest in the state, and absolutely beautiful in every season of the year. You will be very happy here in Virginia! Good Luck!

Chesterfield, VA
reviews: 1
4. Re: Living in Chesterfield County!

I've been living in Chesterfield County for the past 4 years and would definately recommend it. The western part of the county is a better area than eastern as far as communities and schools. Western Henrico County (next county north over the James River) is comparable but the housing prices are MUCH higher. The previous poster who said that most of the crime is in the downtown Richmond area is correct. Some of the eastern areas of the county are getting a little dodgy, but even they're not that bad though I wouldn't recommend the middle and high schools. As for traffic, I dont really think it's that bad...I work in western Henrico, about 20-25 miles from where I live, and traffic extends my drive by maybe 10 minutes. But then I'm originally from the Northern Va/DC area, so 10 minutes is nothing. You may want to do a web search on Virginia or Chesterfield County School Statistics. Also, you can visit the county's website, http://chesterfield.k12.va.us/ as they have a lot of good information, including how each school ranked in the statewide standardized tests. Good luck!

Virginia
5. Re: Living in Chesterfield County!

I too live in Chesterfield and the Crime here doesn't compare to that of Henrico. I've lived back in the area for 20 years now. Many people move from other areas surrounding Chesterfield because of the schools as well as lower taxes for property. You can pay twice the amount for a home in the say Short Pump area for the same amount of space. Chesterfield is growing however, with the new 288 extention - you can get around to all points in Richmond fairly quickly. If your boys are into soccer at all, check out MYSL leagues in the Chesterfield area. Regardless - the further from richmond in Chesterfield or the Midlothian area - the better. Your about 2 hours from DC, MAYBE two hours from the beach as well as less than two hours from the mountains - - It's a great place to live.

reviews: 10
6. Re: Living in Chesterfield County!

I lived in Chesterfield and Henrico for many years. I recommend that you consider where you will be working before choosing a place to live. If you will work downtown (Richmond) I suggest living in Henrico county (west of the city) rather than Chesterfield. If you are going to work south of the city then Chesterfield makes sense.

I attended Chesterfield county schools from 6th through HS graduation. Typical suburban school system with honors classes for gifted students. Not a bad school system, but not outstanding. Henrico is comparable. There are also several private schools in the area.

Chesterfield has grown over the years and is very suburban but is still more "country" than most of Henrico. You'll meet more southern good ole boys in Chesterfield than in Henrico.

Good luck- I hope things go well for you

Get answers to your questions about Chesterfield