We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chesapeake best beaches

Which Chesapeake hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
reviews: 5
Chesapeake best beaches

Hi!

A family of five (3 little kids) is thinking about going to the ocean, but we do not like waves. Would prefer calm, quite beach with beautiful nature in the area. I was recommended to look at Chesapeake Bay. There are a lot of towns there. Where would the best beaches be? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 48
1. Re: Chesapeake best beaches

In Virginia, you would have a choice between Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Hampton, or going to the Eastern Shore. Nicknamed "Chicks Beach" the Chesapeake Bay beach in Virginia Beach is residential. You'd need to get a vacation rental through an agency or some place like VRBO or Homeaway as there are no hotels. Now, along Shore Drive at the bay end, you could find a hotel, but you'd have to cross the highway to get to the beach.

In Norfolk you have Ocean View. The city is doing its best to revitalize it. Not my idea of a vacation destination, but certainly check it out. Hotel selection is uh well hmm....

Hampton offers a similar bay beach called Buckroe. I've never been but the City seems to have a lot of activities there and nearby.

On the Eastern Shore, you might look into Cape Charles. Chincoteague and Assateague are oceanside, but that's a nice place to vacation.

Philadelphia
2. Re: Chesapeake best beaches

WendyMath, thank you for your reply! We've to Virgnia Beach and liked the place, but the ocean is wavy there. We want calm water and nice beach. I do not care much about hotels - renting a house is fine. Which one (out of the places you mentioned) would be the one we are looking for?

Thanks!

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
3. Re: Chesapeake best beaches

I'd go with Chicks Beach. There are nice homes and condos, a few good restaurants and bars, and you're close enough to the main part of Virginia Beach if you want more restaurants or activities. It's a good walking community too. It's a solid and dependable and safe area that isn't struggling to stay ahead of a checkered past like some of the other "revitalized" areas. I know it sounds like I'm being negative and judgmental about Ocean View and Buckroe. I think these places are fine for a day, but you're trying to build a vacation. I'm just not comfortable recommending them for a dedicated vacation spot.

Philadelphia
4. Re: Chesapeake best beaches

Thank you very much! I will try to learn more about Chicks Beach on the Internet.

Coastal
reviews: 24
5. Re: Chesapeake best beaches

We live near Lewes DE... Beautiful area with lots to do and lovely beach town. Cape Henlopen State Park is a beautiful un-spoiled State park with gorgeous beaches and nature centers. Rehoboth beach is right next door with a wonderful family boardwalk. Rated cleanest beach in the country. Your family would love it here. Good Luck in your search!

NEWPORT NEWS, VA
6. Re: Chesapeake best beaches

If you're specifically looking at the Chesapeake Bay, you may want to take a look at the Grandview Nature Preserve, in Hampton, VA. There's no development (including basic facilities) on the beach nor are there lifeguards. But it is a beautiful and tranquil area. From the city's website:

"Grandview Nature Preserve is open to the public free and forms the northeast corner of the city of Hampton. The Preserve covers over 475 acres of salt marsh, tidal creeks, and Chesapeake Bay beachfront. The Preserve is a great location to beach comb, observe the migratory birds, and photography. It is also a great place for fishing. You will need to obtain a saltwater fishing license from Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. "

hampton.gov/Facilities/Facility/Details/Gran…

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
7. Re: Chesapeake best beaches

The original poster has moved on to a beach in Maryland. Last post in March 2013.

Reply to: Chesapeake best beaches
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted