We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Virginia -- any unusual must sees?

Which Charlottesville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pennsylvania
reviews: 19
A week in Virginia -- any unusual must sees?

My husband and I are taking a week Mid-Nov to travel around VA. Are plans are Mt Vernon then on to 2 nights in Fredericksburg, 2 nights in Richmond, 2 nights in Charlottesville, and 2 nights Shenandoah National Park.

Are there any small town must sees that are off-shoots to the above?

If the national park is still covered in snow (they currently have a foot of snow) any suggestions for 2 days? Maybe extend our trip at one/two of the locations? We have done Williamsburg area and Eastern Shore.

We love to be outdoors. Walking, hiking. Also enjoy civil war battlefields. But we also like smaller museums, presidential libraries, a few house tours, etc

Any and all suggestions welcome. Thank you!

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 92
1. Re: A week in Virginia -- any unusual must sees?

Take a look at Staunton if you decide not to go to Shenandoah or as a side trip from Charlottesville. I can highly recommend the Blackfriar Theatre and it looks like they've got some good plays on schedule for mid-November. Since you enjoy the outdoors and smaller museums, you might like the Frontier Culture Museum. And, finally, the Woodrow Wilson Presidential Museum and Library is in Staunton.

Washington DC...
reviews: 71
2. Re: A week in Virginia -- any unusual must sees?

Verona has the east coast's largest antique mall, The Factory.

Crozet Pizza in Crozet was voted best pizza in Virginia (white with mushrooms and garlic) by The Food Network a few years ago.

Natural Bridge is literally a giant rock. Not worth it in my opinion.

The Route 11 potato chip factory is in Mount Jackson.

Here is an article on the 7 weird wonders of Va but it is from 2002 so do some research before you head out- washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/20…

There is the historic triangle of Williamsburg, Yorktowne and Jamestown if you like history.

Edited: 11:45 am, January 03, 2013
3. Re: A week in Virginia -- any unusual must sees?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, January 06, 2014