We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!! Hotels booked in May (for graduation)! Where to...

Which Charlottesville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hometown
reviews: 49
Help!! Hotels booked in May (for graduation)! Where to...

Hi, all. We will be visiting your pretty town for the first in May (from Seattle). Yeah! We had no idea when we booked our flights that we will be there graduation weekend. Everything is booked! I would have expected things in D.C. to be booked, but not Charlottesville! We have a family of five and need a moderately priced ($90-150) hotel room. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 48
1. Re: Help!! Hotels booked in May (for graduation)! Where to...

About 25 miles away in one direction is Culpeper, a sizeable city with several hotels; in another direction is Orange. I imagine Harrisonburg will also be booked up with college graduations but that's worth a try -- maybe they graduate on different weekends.

There are also many cabins in the Wintergreen resort area and elsewhere. If you're interested in that, post again and I'll be more specific with suggestions.

York, PA
reviews: 28
2. Re: Help!! Hotels booked in May (for graduation)! Where to...

Waynesboro is west of Charlottesville and has a few hotels. There is a nice Holiday Inn Express in Waynesboro that is worth checking out. In Orange, a city that the previous poster mentions, is another Holiday Inn Express that is outstanding. I am not sure what else to recommend. Hope this helps.

Lynchburg, VA
reviews: 45
3. Re: Help!! Hotels booked in May (for graduation)! Where to...

Depending on how far you are willing to drive you could try Lynchburg (right at an hour south of Charlottesville down Rt 29). Many hotels to choose from, but be weary about the weekend of the 13th. Lynchburg College, Randolph-Macon Womens College & Liberty University (all in L-burg) are graduating that weekend. I would stay away from Madison Heights (which is just north of Lynchburg).

Charlottesville, VA
reviews: 11
4. Re: Help!! Hotels booked in May (for graduation)! Where to...

So glad to hear that you and your family will be coming to visit our fair city! You have unfortunately hit on one of the downsides of being a college town, limited hotel space on football, move in and graduation weekends! The advice of the previous posters is good, I would tend to lean towards going the way of Waynesboro/Staunton rather than towards Orange or Lynchburg though. You don't mention the ages of your family members, but if you have kids along Stantoun would be a great choice for the days that you can't get rooms here in Cville. There is a wonderful outdoor museum, The American Museum of Frontier Culture that is great for the whole family, the American Shakesphere Theater and a quaint downtown area of shops and restaurants. I don't have any specific hotel recommendations, but any at the intersection of Interstates 64 and 81 would work well and put you about 45 mintues to an hour from Charlottesville.

Once you have made your way to Charlottesville you won't want to miss Monticello, Ashlawn Highland, the University and the Discovery Museum on the downtown pedestrian mall. Christians Pizza is a must for the pizza loving set in your family and you can follow that up with ice cream at Chaps. There is also a beautifully restored theater on the mall, check out the Paramout Theaters website to see what is going on during your visit. Many of the local winery's have great views and picinic areas.

It sounds like you are also visiting the DC area, if you will be coming this way from DC I would recommend that you stop in to see Montpelior in Orange County, this is the home of James and Dolley Madison, has great open space for kids to get the wiggles out. Having said that, you might just want to consider a night in Orange as previously suggested.

Hope this helps some.

Hometown
reviews: 49
5. Re: Help!! Hotels booked in May (for graduation)! Where to...

Thanks, everyone! What a relief to have some alternatives! We're looking forward to visiting your beautiful, obviously hospitable city!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
6. Re: Help!! Hotels booked in May (for graduation)! Where to...

Oh, families go all out for the graduations and the many festivities surrounding it. Someone mentioned trying Lynchburg. It would be about an hour and 15 minutes from Charlottesville, not a bad drive. To give you an idea about graduations though, even Lynchburg may be full every weekend in May. More than just parents come to graduations....entire families make the trek. Lynchburg gets families of students from the colleges in Farmville, Charlottesville, Blacksburg, even Washington and Lee in Lexington, VMI...all the areas an hour or so around the city....as well as families from its own several colleges. And I never have found out why in the world there can't be a clearing house to compare notes on graduations. Their excuse is a flippant 'well, they're on different days'...sometimes. But even if one's a Friday, one's a Saturday, one's a Sunday, families still stay for all the activities the entire weekend. This makes people angry...but I figure the colleges feel the students are graduating and perhaps there are not that many siblings following along to remember the weekend fiasco. I know of people who have camped out on the Parkway (Blue Ridge Mts.) to attend graduation festivities for family.

In addition to graduation activities, there are the concommitant Board of Trustees meetings, entertainers, speakers, alumni weekends....all filling hotel/motel/b&b rooms in May.

You might also look up bbonline.com and see what is in your geographic area that meets your needs.

A note, hotels and bed and breakfasts usually compare notes about who has availability so you might ask if you call someone who's full.

Charlottesville
reviews: 7
7. Re: Help!! Hotels booked in May (for graduation)! Where to...

Try the UVA website for visitors. On it are two sites that link you to guest cottages and rooms in the area not usually easy to find.

http://www.virginia.edu/placestostay.html

Click on "collegeweekends.com" or "guesthouses"

Good luck

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
8. Re: Help!! Hotels booked in May (for graduation)! Where to...

fyi, Lynchbrug has 4 colleges graduating the same weekend...just in the closeby area alone....that's the weekend of the 14th. They're saying if you want to celebrate Mother's Day out you're out of luck.

virginia beach
reviews: 19
9. Re: Help!! Hotels booked in May (for graduation)! Where to...

Call each hotel individually because they receive cancellations rthat do not show up on Expedia and others. Try the Holiday Inn on Emmett Street and the two Comfort Inns. We did this during graduation week last year and had several rooms to choose from with only a couple of days advanced notice.

Charlottesville...
reviews: 249
10. Re: Help!! Hotels booked in May (for graduation)! Where to...

Try the New Best Western & Conference center in Waynesboro?

The Days inn Waynesboro

Get answers to your questions about Charlottesville