We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Didn't realize many Monticello tours end Oct. 31...

Which Charlottesville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Tx
reviews: 27
Didn't realize many Monticello tours end Oct. 31...

I am so disappointed. I was planning on visiting Nov. 5 on my way back from Williamsburg to Texas. I really wanted to go on the slavery tour. I am really trying to decide if Monticello is worth it for me with so many things missing after Oct. 31...there is even reduced admission, I see. Opinions?

Dallas, Tx
1. Re: Didn't realize many Monticello tours end Oct. 31...

Adding to my own message, I am considering driving the two hours each way to and from Williamsburg on the second day of my visit in order to see Monticello by Oct. 31.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
reviews: 41
2. Re: Didn't realize many Monticello tours end Oct. 31...

We've toured the house and grounds several times - definitely worth it, even without the "special tours." The last time we went, we were able to take the plantation community tour, the one that is now the slavery at Monticello tour. What we already had learned during the regular house tours enhanced our experience at that tour. So I say, go whenever you can. If you're driving from Texas, would it be possible to do the tour on the way to Williamsburg? I'd be reluctant to spend that much time driving back on forth in the middle of a stay at Williamsburg.

Monticello has undergone some major improvements, with the addition of the Visitor Center, Education Center, etc. Nice food court, too. If you can walk down the mountain past the cemetery, it's an interesting walk and not too strenuous.

Dallas, Tx
3. Re: Didn't realize many Monticello tours end Oct. 31...

Hi Zoey! Didn't know I'd see you over here on the Charlottesville forum!

So, you don't think the Slavery Tour (formerly the Plantations Community Tour) is really worth the extra trouble? There must be a reason the fee drops as of November first. What else would be missing?

Dallas, Tx
4. Re: Didn't realize many Monticello tours end Oct. 31...

Oh, and no, it's not in any way possible to visit Monticello before Williamsburg.

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
5. Re: Didn't realize many Monticello tours end Oct. 31...

If you are a fan of historical food, I see on Nov. 5 has an event, Cooking Unusual Vegetables, referencing the unusual veggies at Monticello.

monticello.org/site/visit/events/cooking-unu…

As a side note, in case you get to DC in the next year, there will be an exhibition in the National Museum of American History on Jefferson and Slavery at Monticello: Paradox of Liberty. 1/27/12-10/14/12.

monticello.org/site/press/upcoming-exhibitio…

And, for further edification, you might look into Jefferson's Poplar Forest. This is in Forest, Va., just outside the city of Lynchburg and is about 1 1/2 hours south of Charlottesville down Rt. 29. It is open till mid December for tours, including a few candlelight tours in November. The plantation was an inheritance from his father-in-law. Jefferson wrote most of his book, Notes on the State of Virginia, on the property. After his presidency, he visited often, enjoying the house he designed and the gardens he designed and chose plantings for...very hands on. It seems he really loved it and found peace there.

http://www.poplarforest.org/visit

Nov. 5, if you're not already at Monticello this day, you could stop at Poplar Forest for the Master Gardeners talk on the vegetables Jefferson grew there, historical plants, etc. 2 p.m.

http://www.poplarforest.org/node/830

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
reviews: 41
6. Re: Didn't realize many Monticello tours end Oct. 31...

Monticello's hours are reduced beginning in November, closing at 6 p.m. instead of 7 p.m., and most of the gardens are prepared for the winter, so not as much to see there. Not sure what else is different, but you could send an e-mail to Monticello to ask the question: www.monticello.org/site/about/contact-us

I'm glad we did that tour, but if this is your first visit, the overview you get with the house tour will be just as worthwhile, in my opinion.

Dallas, Tx
7. Re: Didn't realize many Monticello tours end Oct. 31...

I think we will save ourselves the trouble then and just go on our way back to Texas when it's not out of our way at all...Thanks for the advice!

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
8. Re: Didn't realize many Monticello tours end Oct. 31...

Just a thought. We have family in Texas and know it can be difficult for people in a totally different climate to get minds around our weather. Aside from school schedules, weather is a deciding factor for what's available for activities at various tourist sites. Thought I'd mention this so that you check the weather and are prepared clothing-wise. Wonderful time of year.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
reviews: 60
9. Re: Didn't realize many Monticello tours end Oct. 31...

Along with explorer's thoughts, bring long sleeved clothing and jackets. Temperatures could be cold if a front comes through.

Dallas, Tx
10. Re: Didn't realize many Monticello tours end Oct. 31...

CTDesign and Explorer3...thanks for the heads-up about the weather. I have been checking the long-term forecast, but had not thought about something really unexpected coming through during our visit. I will make sure to pack winter coats. Thanks again!