We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prettier River to Canoe on..James River or South River?

Which Charlottesville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lewisburg, West...
reviews: 3
Prettier River to Canoe on..James River or South River?

Want to go for a day of canoeing and are trying to decide which one would be better. My girlfriend wants scenic beauty along the way!! Thanks!

Charlottesville, VA
reviews: 17
1. Re: Prettier River to Canoe on..James River or South River?

Considering that I live 5 miles from Scottsville, Virginia, which bills itself as "Scottsville on the James" I'd have to vote for the James River!

http://www.scottsville.org/

Scottsville has a couple of great outfitters that will rent you a canoe & drop you off upstream (that way you can just float & paddle downstream back to your car).

The James winds through the Piedmont, which is relatively flatter terrain than what's around the Shenandoah Valley (which is sandwiched between mountains), so you'd be floating past small towns & farms, through woods & past small islands. There are also pieces of the old Kanawha Canal that are visible in spots, and you may see a coal train or 2 (the tracks in Scottsville run right alongside the river).

Did you consider the Rivanna River? That's a local favorite in the Charlottesville area -- it winds past Monticello & out into Albemarle & Fluvanna Counties, past a few other historic estates.

Unfortunately, when I mentioned the South River to friends, the only thing that comes to mind is the lingering problem with pollution, especially in the Waynesboro area -- great views of the chemical plants from the river there. But I'm sure that there are also gorgeous & clean areas of the South River.

2. Re: Prettier River to Canoe on..James River or South River?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, September 27, 2009