We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving trip lexington, ky to virginia beach, virginia

Which Charlottesville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
missouri
driving trip lexington, ky to virginia beach, virginia

I am going on a road trip this summer(July) from Lexington, Ky to Virginia Beach, Va. We will be going through Charleston, WV and Charlottesville, VA. Are there any events or sights that are particularly interesting along the way or when we reach our destination? Any particular off the main road places that are must-see places?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
reviews: 48
1. Re: driving trip lexington, ky to virginia beach, virginia

Monticello, Mr. Jefferson's home, is at Charlottesville. The Monticello Visitors Center off of I-64 on Route 20 has some good exhibits. Mr. Jefferson's university, University of Virginia, is in Charlottesville. There are a number of wineries offering tastings and tours in the area. Two other presidents had homes nearby - Montpelier (James Madison) and Ashlawn-Highland (James Monroe). Michie Tavern is very near Monticello. It has a museum and restaurant. Of the sites I've mentioned, I'd consider Monticello the must-see; you might enjoy the others depending on your interests and time available.

You'll also be near Colonial Williamsburg, about two and a half hours east of Charlottesville, on your journey. I'd consider that a must-see and worth a couple of days, or at the least, one day, because of all you can see and do there. Jamestown is a few miles from Williamsburg; it is the site where 400 years ago the first permanent English settlement in North America was founded.

NY/NJ
reviews: 3
2. Re: driving trip lexington, ky to virginia beach, virginia

Charlottesville is wonderful. If you let me know the types of things you might be interested in seeing, I can be more specific as to recommendations. Major things I think are must sees in C'ville are the University, the Downtown Mall, and Monticello, but depending on how much time you'll have and what you like to do, there are many others.

3. Re: driving trip lexington, ky to virginia beach, virginia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, August 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Charlottesville