We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

udvar hazy air and space museum?

Which Chantilly hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Granbury
reviews: 12
udvar hazy air and space museum?

I was wondering about how long we should plan on for touring the SUH museum? I read on thing that said two hours was plenty. Our flight gets in at noon and we were hoping to see the museum and then drive to Quantico that evening, any think that would be too much to do in one day?

Thanks so much for your help

Ashburn, Virginia
reviews: 23
1. Re: udvar hazy air and space museum?

Two hours sounds about right if you aren't planning on seeing an IMAX movie.

What day of the week were you planning on arriving? That would affect whether I would suggest seeing the museum and then driving to Quantico or heading straight there to avoid rush hour. If you're arriving on a weekend, I would say enjoy the museum, no worries. If during the week, you'll be getting on the road just before rush hour, and could catch some bad spots depending on how you go. It would be up to you whether you have a certain time you need to arrive or if you have patience to sit in traffic. It's so hard to predict. You could sail right through; or sit in a parking lot on 95. Check WTOP (103.5 fm)for traffic reports every 10 minutes on the "8's".

Granbury
2. Re: udvar hazy air and space museum?

Thanks so much for your reply. We are arriving on Tuesday. I had checked out Mapquest, etc and thought about the traffic, so think we might take 28 thru Manassas to 234 to 95, just above Dumfries. It looks like it would be just a little over an hour and should help us escape the rush hour traffic.

Ashburn, Virginia
3. Re: udvar hazy air and space museum?

Traffic can still be heavy (slow to crawling) on 95 even that far south. But that route does minimize the distance you have to go on 95. Just FYI so it doesn't catch you off guard in case you run into it.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Washington DC, Topsail Beach
reviews: 44
4. Re: udvar hazy air and space museum?

If you leave that museum at 5 or 6, it could easily take you well over 2 hours to make it to Quantico. SERIOUSLY. This is part of my daily commute.

28 from Dulles through Chantilly all the way into Manassas is bumper-to-bumper. If it is raining-it will be worse.

I urge you to be on the road by 4 at the latest. Also, when you go down 28 and approach route I-66, get off there and go west towards Manassas. Since there is more than one of you, you can use the commuter lane, so get all the way to the left. Stay in the HOV lane for about 8 miles, and go PAST the Manassas 234/Business exit. About a mile after that exit, work your way all the way over to the right and get off at the 234 Bypass exit. Once you are on this road, it is 4-lane divided highway that will take you all the way to Dumfries. It is about 20-25 miles, but it will be more or less 55-60 mph smooth-sailing the entire way.

When you get to I-95, I would skip getting on there to go south to Quantico because 95 south through there can be nasty nasty with traffic too. Just past 95, 234 will dead-end with Route 1. Go right/south on Route 1 and you will end up in Triangle/Quantico. A little slower than 95 due to lights and commercial areas, but probably better than 95 on a Tuesday night.

And yes, listen to WTOP.

Granbury
5. Re: udvar hazy air and space museum?

You guys are just terrific. What would you think about us just spending the night in Chantilly and driving to Quantico first thing in the morning? But now we will have to visit the USMC museum and hook it to Arlington before the rush hour. I knew the traffic was bad, but didn't realize how bad. I will defintely tune in the radio.

I just can't thank you enough for helping. I hope to return the favor in the future.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Washington DC, Topsail Beach
reviews: 44
6. Re: udvar hazy air and space museum?

Well, when are you going to do this? If you are going to be coming during summer, you will have the added advantage of "traffic vacation" as I call it. Most days, traffic is significantly lighter on 28 and 66. My guess is about 10% of the cars are off the road because schools are out and enough people are taking the week off.

66 West from Centreville to 234 bypass will only take you 15 minutes-even after 5. Since you can use the carpool lane you shouldn't see any backup around Manassas. You should be able to make it to Quantico in an hour.

Of course, if there is an accident, or my favorite-mattress in the road, then things can change.

Granbury
7. Re: udvar hazy air and space museum?

We will be doing this the first week in June

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
8. Re: udvar hazy air and space museum?

Just some other info for you...

The museum is free , but there is a parking fee. I believe it is $12.00.

There is a McDonald's in the museum.

Tune to WTOP at 107.5 for your traffic info. They update every 10 minutes.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
reviews: 40
9. Re: udvar hazy air and space museum?

The WTOP.com website lists three frequencies: 103.5, 103.9, and 107.7. Is there a difference in the programming or signal strength? Which is the frequency that's best to use for travellers from out of town?

Ashburn, Virginia
10. Re: udvar hazy air and space museum?

Around town 103.5 works best for me.

You can find a coverage map here:

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=69

Or if you have Sirius/XM, channel 152/214 is Baltimore/DC traffic. It repeats much more frequently than WTOP, but I use both. Lisa Baden on WTOP (as annoying as she is) gives good alternates to use and sometimes mentions more accident locations.

Get answers to your questions about Chantilly