We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VT Graduation Lodging May 16-19, 2013

Which Blacksburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Mary, Florida
reviews: 3
VT Graduation Lodging May 16-19, 2013

We are a family from out of state attending our son's graduation from VT in May 2013. I began searching for lodging back in the spring and have been unable to find any place closer to VT then So. Roanoke, and even then, limited choices. Any ideas? Have looked into VRBO, Craigslist and hotel sites such as Kayak. Thank you!

16 replies to this topic
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
1. Re: VT Graduation Lodging May 16-19, 2013

My idea would be to take the first thing you can tolerate. I have been at these things in that area and parents, siblings, grandparents, girl friends, boy friends, great grandparents come and stay at places where they have to drive two hours through tough winding mountain roads or camp along the parkway just to get a place to lay their heads. That's because the countless hotels and b&bs and cabins are already full.

There will be thousands of people coming all along I-81 and in a bit toward Lynchburg and Charlottesville for the many graduations scheduled that weekend. Funny thing is they sometimes cross each other heading an hour or more to each other's towns for graduations. Families seem to do it up big. (Plus they need help to get their kids packed out of that apartment and headed home again.) I've seen the relief and happy parties when #4 or #5 finally graduated. I have also known people to make reservations for graduation a year in advance...and try for four years in advance if an innkeeper allows that.

Lake Mary, Florida
reviews: 3
2. Re: VT Graduation Lodging May 16-19, 2013

Thanks for your input. I actually started this process 1 yr. out and here we are, 4 mo. out still without a reservation!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
3. Re: VT Graduation Lodging May 16-19, 2013

Just get something and note the cancellation policy in case you come upon something closer. If you have a favorite closer keep calling them. It has happened that a student just doesn't make it to the very end and is not going to graduation.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 48
4. Re: VT Graduation Lodging May 16-19, 2013

If you got as close as Roanoke, be happy! We stayed in Dublin for my daughter's graduation. Actually, that turned out to be a good option despite the distance.

Ruckersville...
reviews: 74
5. Re: VT Graduation Lodging May 16-19, 2013

Just did a quick search of Christiansburg,, Va for the time stated, The Roadway Inn has a few rooms available but they are not cheap, Unforturately the law of supply and demand works well in these smaller towns znd cities. As was suggested eqrlier, Make your reservations ( checking the cancelletion policy) and cancel them if you find something better, One other thing to note, All the good restaurants are going to be packed in Blacksburg that weekend, It may be beter to stay 30 to 45 min away.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
6. Re: VT Graduation Lodging May 16-19, 2013

Also if you find one that doesn't require a stay longer than you feel necessary that could be a good one. Yes, most double or triple their rates for graduation and homecoming.

Roanoke, Virginia
reviews: 6
7. Re: VT Graduation Lodging May 16-19, 2013

Have you tried Mountain Lake? It's about 20 minutes past VT in Giles County. They may be booked up already, but it's worth checking out if you haven't already.

www.mountainlakehotel.com/Section_Home.asp…

Roanoke, Virginia
reviews: 6
8. Re: VT Graduation Lodging May 16-19, 2013

Just checked the site and there IS availability those dates. There is a restaurant also and some of the packages include meals. It's not cheap, but may be worth the convenience.

roanoke, va
reviews: 35
9. Re: VT Graduation Lodging May 16-19, 2013

Limited options in Roanoke? I just did a quick kayak search for those dates and found a ton of options for various price points. Hotel Roanoke is available and lovely, plus convenient to downtown restaurants.

Manassas, Virginia
10. Re: VT Graduation Lodging May 16-19, 2013

I have a room available at the Holiday Inn on campus that I cannot use for the dates you require. nana46boys@yahoo.com.

Reply to: VT Graduation Lodging May 16-19, 2013
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted