We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Pgh. Pa to isle of palm, sc

Which Blacksburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
reviews: 4
Traveling from Pgh. Pa to isle of palm, sc

We'll be traveling in May with an 8 month old baby so need to break up the trip. Is blacksburg the most convenient mid-point?

5 replies to this topic
1. Re: Traveling from Pgh. Pa to isle of palm, sc

Do you mean you are looking to stop for the night halfway between Pittsburgh and Isle of Palms?

Unless you have a specific reason for visiting Blacksburg, I would not stay there in May. Depending on your travel dates, the town is likely to be very busy with graduation related events. It is also not located directly off the interstate.

If you plan to drive down I-81, the Roanoke/Salem area might be a good stopping point.

If you plan to drive down I-77, the Wytheville area might work.

If you are looking for advice on which route is best to drive, post again so someone can offer advice on that.

Pittsburgh
reviews: 4
2. Re: Traveling from Pgh. Pa to isle of palm, sc

The directions on mapquest take me to I-77. It says: Merge onto I-77 S via EXIT 81 toward Charlotte NC (Passing through North Carolina, then crossing into South Carolina). It says I'm on this for 229 so somewhere in between here would be midway for us.

3. Re: Traveling from Pgh. Pa to isle of palm, sc

Yes, I-77 is the most direct route I know of.

Hillsville, VA would be about halfway. Wytheville, VA a little less than halfway.

You can check the hotel reviews for those areas.

If you want to go a little more than halfway, you'll be in North Carolina.

Since Blacksburg is not convenient, why not post a new thread in the Virginia forum. If you title it something like "Overnight stop on I-77 in VA", you'll probably get better advice from folks who have actually travelled that route. You might want to pose the same question for NC in the NC forum if you think you might go that far the first day.

Enjoy your trip.

Salem, VA
reviews: 8
4. Re: Traveling from Pgh. Pa to isle of palm, sc

If you decide to stay anywhere near Blacksburg or Christiansburg, you should know that Virginia Tech Spring Commencement is the weekend of May 11, 2012. All hotels in the area have jacked up their prices into the outrageous zone from Thursday through Sunday. The bubble of outrageous pricing extends into Salem and Roanoke to the east but you'll probably be ok with Wytheville. Radford University is also in the general vicinity and their Spring Commencement is the weekend of May 5, 2012.

Safe travels!

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
5. Re: Traveling from Pgh. Pa to isle of palm, sc

For a break along the way, take a look at Tamarack in Beckley WV. You may have already visited there since it's just about 4 hours from Pittsburgh. Gardens and benches for relaxing; playground in and out; Greenbriar gift shop; Greenbrier chefs with food a lot less than Greenbrier prices; WV crafts...pottery, art, jewelry, etc.

Reply to: Traveling from Pgh. Pa to isle of palm, sc
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted