We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Valentines Getaway..Need Help!

Which Waitsfield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
reviews: 13
Romantic Valentines Getaway..Need Help!

I am from the Boston area and have never really been to Vermont. I saw a piece on Chronicle about Mad River and it looked really nice and peaceful. I am not big into skiing so I am not looking for a ski resort. Mad River looked like a quiet, quaint area that would be a nice place to get away from the rat race for a few days. I'd like to take the wife to a nice place, nice rooms, maybe a little shopping, a sleigh ride, a nice pub and restaurant. I've never really stayed at a bed and breakfast or Inn. As long as the lodging is nice, warm and comfortable and I have my own bathroom, I would be open to something like that. I can't remember the lodging that was featured on Chronicle, but it looked real nice. Are there any Vermont experts out there that can give me some recommendations on where to stay and what to do? If there is some place better than Mad River, I am open to that. The Chronicle piece just really peaked my interest on this area. Valentines Day is just around the corner so this is going to be a last minute thing. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

3 replies to this topic
Waitsfield
Destination Expert
for Waitsfield
reviews: 23
1. Re: Romantic Valentines Getaway..Need Help!

Canalagator:

There are many nice places to stay in the Mad River Valley it depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. The Round Barn Inn was featured on the Chronicle piece. You can do a beautiful sleigh ride at the Mountain View Farm. There are quaint shops and fantastic restaurants (Green Cup, Common Man, 275 Main St) and nice casual places too (Big Picture, Easy Street). If you don't want to ski an easy snowshoe is a great way to enjoy the outdoors. You can check out madrivervalley.com for lots of info or send me a pm with particular questions. The MRV is a great slice of real Vermont.

Enjoy!

Luke

Addison Cty, VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
reviews: 31
2. Re: Romantic Valentines Getaway..Need Help!

The Inn at Round Barn Farm is veerrrry nice and romantic IMO. I'd see if you can get in there!

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
reviews: 217
3. Re: Romantic Valentines Getaway..Need Help!

Hi Canaligator,

If you are keen on the Mad River area than Inn at Roundbarn Farm is also highly recommended by me, I stayed there a few years ago and it help convince me to change my lifestyle and move to Vermont and open an inn! If you do wish to consider another area then Woodstock has a little more life about it, but may not have all the rural charm of the Mad River area....but it does have a National Park, sleigh rides, shopping, good pubs and restaurants and many other things to potter around. Check out the village website at www.woodstockvt.com. If you wish to try a smaller inn or B & B there are many different options depending if you seek traditional or contemporary, homely or stylish and all can be found via the chamber of commerce site....and of course TA!

Reply to: Romantic Valentines Getaway..Need Help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted