We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best fall activities in and around Stowe?

Which Stowe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 21
Best fall activities in and around Stowe?

Thinking of coming to Stowe Oct 8-12,2012. Never been to Vermont before.

Will the leaves be around peak this time?

What are the best areas for scenic leaf color?

I'm interested in scenic drives, short hikes to waterfalls, seeing covered bridges, going to some cheese farms, sugar houses. Which ones should I not miss while in Vermont?

What restaurants do you think are best around Stowe and Woodstock? I would also be interested in an afternoon tea somewhere.

Thanks so much!

Vermont
reviews: 46
11. Re: Best fall activities in and around Stowe?

I will say this, as of today, 9/24/12, there are not many rooms available for peak foliage time IN Stowe. Some of the rooms are in less than desirable hotels. Good luck finding what you want, book ASAP!

Texas
12. Re: Best fall activities in and around Stowe?

We actually booked at the Holiday inn in Burlington, VT. We are using priority club points so we don't have to pay anything. That is the closest holiday inn to Stowe. Thanks for the info. Would appreciate restaurant recommendations in Stowe.

Vermont
13. Re: Best fall activities in and around Stowe?

If you are staying in Burlington, I'm not sure why you would want to eat in Stowe. In fact, once could argue that there are better restaurants in the Burlington area than Stowe.

Kihei, Hawaii
reviews: 33
14. Re: Best fall activities in and around Stowe?

Signothetimes - your original advice wasn't helpful either. Your original statement to Barbie started with "good luck." Very welcoming. What I think is more harmful than helpful is the continued banter and insults to yellow.

Barbie - I'm glad that you were able to find a room and weren't mislead by the panic people create of "book early" or that it's too late to start planning a trip. While planning ahead is best for some, it isn't for everyone. If, for some reason, the holiday inn doesn't work for you, all three Hilton family hotels have available in Burlington. For food, Harrison's Restaurant and Bar in Stowe received mainly excellent or very good reviews. Check out the listing for it here on tripadvisor.

Enjoy your trip!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
reviews: 41
15. Re: Best fall activities in and around Stowe?

Agree w/ VT_Explorer. Burlington has 2-3 times the number of restaurants vs. Stowe, with significantly more variety. Both towns are good. Trattoria la Festa is our fav in Stowe, and Trattoria Delia in BTV.

Texas
16. Re: Best fall activities in and around Stowe?

Thanks for the great info! BTW there was still availability at the Holiday Inn in Burlington last time I checked. If you are willing to drive 45 min to Stowe it is worth it as we will be staying there for free using priority club points. Also, we wanted to eat in Stowe because we will be hiking and biking in the area. Burlington may have better restaurants but we want the small town atmosphere.

Burlington, Vermont
reviews: 18
17. Re: Best fall activities in and around Stowe?

There are other posts/threads in this Forum in which people are finding zero availability at hotels throughout the greater Burlington area, and are begging to find rooms.

At this point, someone looking to come over Columbus Day weekend to Burlington or Stowe will find a room only with a great deal of luck, such as a cancellation opening up an isolated room here or there.

Texas
18. Re: Best fall activities in and around Stowe?

Thanks for the info! How long will the peak colors last? Will be there Oct. 7-11.

Vermont
19. Re: Best fall activities in and around Stowe?

In Stowe, especially up at the mountain we are at peak now, and have been for a few days. Of course, you never really know when you are at peak, until you are past it...

Anyway, there is plenty of color to be found on Sunday when you arrive and the surrounding areas. You'll be fine! Plus, this week, the weather has been miserable, so even if you were here, there is just a bunch of rain and fog. Next week looks better!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
reviews: 41
20. Re: Best fall activities in and around Stowe?

Stowe and the vicinity in the mountains tends to peak about now - a good week before Burlington and other places along Lake Champlain, How long the peak colors last typically depends on the wind, which blows off the leaves. If no wind, the peak colors usually last at least a few days... sometimes nearly a week before fading significantly.

Get answers to your questions about Stowe