We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is new england fall foliage similar to that of upper midwest

Which Stowe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
is new england fall foliage similar to that of upper midwest

Have been contemplating visiting New England states this fall...2nd week of October. We have been to New England many times, but not in the autumn. What makes autumn foliage in New England distinctly different from that experienced here each year in Northeastern Ohio?

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
reviews: 41
1. Re: is new england fall foliage similar to that of upper midwest

We have a ton of sugar maple trees, which turn bright red, crimson & orange.... in addition to the usual yellow's. When the colors are peak, the hills look like a bowl of trix cereal.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
reviews: 232
2. Re: is new england fall foliage similar to that of upper midwest

Evening Gleewee,

Not for nothing is Vermont and New England often quoted as having some of the worlds most beautiful foliage.....1000's of maples do add a unique mix to the colour.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 39
3. Re: is new england fall foliage similar to that of upper midwest

I think you should come and then let us know your opinion. It's a can't lose proposition.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
reviews: 42
4. Re: is new england fall foliage similar to that of upper midwest

Plus, it's not just the color -- it's the landscape.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Manchester
reviews: 56
5. Re: is new england fall foliage similar to that of upper midwest

Mostly as Pastiche said what really makes the difference is the landscape. I've been in north eastern Minnesota, and eastern Ohio along that WV border for foliage, and although both places are lovely, they do not match Vermont.

We have that nice mix of types of trees, the long breath taking views, sweet tiny old villages, and those covered bridges.

Salem, Massachusetts
6. Re: is new england fall foliage similar to that of upper midwest

there's so many ways that the fall foliage in New England is different from the Midwest.

First according to the forestry officials we have a greater number of deciduous trees that turn color (something north of 70 varieties).

As was stated above sugar maples are our bread and butter and we have quite a number of them.

Another factor is that in New England most towns take a lot of pride in not being progressive and year just as likely to find a general store and a one pump gas station to go with the little white church and the bandstand sitting on the village green.

there are many towns, especially in Vermont, that don't look all that different than a did 100 years ago. Actually they probably received a few coats of paint over that time. Things just don't get as updated as they would in Cleveland or Detroit.

Not to say that Boston, Hartford, Providence, or Portland aren't progressive cities, with skyscrapers, thousands of restaurants, and tons to do.

It's when you move away from the city centers that you find rural life is a bit slower paced.

I grew up in northwestern Pennsylvania (so we were neighbors) and to be honest as a child I rarely noticed the fall colors. I have a couple pictures of fall colors but they don't even come close to comparing with what I've seen here in New England.

Of course as a photographer who has a slightly demented passion for fall foliage, I've picked the best place in the world to be. All you have to do is Google fall foliage and count how many pictures are from New England and how many are from the rest of the world (United States included) I think, and I'm guessing here, that the New England images will far outweigh the numbers from elsewhere.

The only other way to really know how things will be different here versus there is to show up in October and see for yourself. Because I'm already sold on it myself and until you see it up close and personal to appreciate it you probably won't be convinced.

Jeff "foliage" Folger

Jeff–foliage.com

Edited: 3:15 pm, August 28, 2012
Boston, MA
reviews: 13
7. Re: is new england fall foliage similar to that of upper midwest

My work (writer/photographer) keeps me on the road throughout North America. I’ve seen fall just about everywhere, the upper Midwest, New England, the West Coast and the Smokey Mountains. In my humble opinion, nothing beats New England in the fall! It’s not just the color and it’s not just the difference in the type trees or even the iconic atmosphere in the small towns and villages. It is all these things and much more. There really is something very special about fall in New England.

Lansing, Michigan
8. Re: is new england fall foliage similar to that of upper midwest

I have been fortunate enough to experience fall in the upper Midwest as well as New England. In my opinion, the main advantage that New England has is the landscape, which provides a very classic setting for foliage viewing. As far as the colors themselves, I think the two places are much more comparable than most people think. Especially when you get up into the Northwoods areas of the Upper Midwest, you are going to see the very same sugar maple, birch, beech, etc that provide stunning color in New England (the southern Midwest is not as colorful). I'm not convinced that New England has any special advantage in tree type or variety. But I do think it's possible that weather conditions are slightly more favorable in the Northeast for developing vibrant colors (less clouds, clear days and nights).

In short... New England does not have a monopoly on beautiful colors. But I do have to agree that it is the best place overall for foliage viewing, all things considered.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
reviews: 41
9. Re: is new england fall foliage similar to that of upper midwest

Thanks Ben - Good info! I had no idea that the trees were similar. Cheers!

Lansing, Michigan
10. Re: is new england fall foliage similar to that of upper midwest

No problem! I am fascinated by fall foliage... hopefully one day I will make it to Vermont in the fall. I had a chance to go to NH and Maine in the fall a couple of years ago and it was amazing.

The Upper Midwest does have a lot of sugar maples too, though. Here is a map that shows the concentration of sugar maples in the U.S.... you can see that upper Michigan and Wisconsin have some of the highest amounts behind Vermont:

nytimes.com/imagepages/…03maple_graphic.html

Get answers to your questions about Stowe