We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Smuggler's Notch in September...

Which Stowe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cromwell...
Staying at Smuggler's Notch in September...

Hi all -

Just booked a week at Smuggler's Notch at the end of September. We're planning on inviting my mom & stepfather to come along (ages 73 and 68.... both going on 45... LOL)

Really don't know much about the area, but hoping to see some foliage and just have a nice "get away from it all" vacation.

Wondering on recommendations for activities/meals/etc.

Open to all ideas, and not opposed to having to travel if necessary.

I thank you in advance for your help! :)

Cincinnati, Ohio
1. Re: Staying at Smuggler's Notch in September...

We will be in Smugglers notch from September 23 - 30.

We have the same questions. Would love to hear the answers.

Burlington, Vermont
reviews: 18
2. Re: Staying at Smuggler's Notch in September...

End of September is a little early for peak foliage in Stowe, but you'll still see some color there, and you won't have to drive far to see some nice color. Vermont is a really small state geographically.

All the answers you seek can be easily found by using the search menu here at TA. If that's enough for you, also check out Stowe's Chamber of Commerce website: http://www.gostowe.com/

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
reviews: 41
3. Re: Staying at Smuggler's Notch in September...

Agreed. Do a couple of searches on 'best activities in Stowe' and you'll get a ton of info. My top picks are:

Drive up the Mt Mansfield toll road and stroll around at the top.... superb panoramic views.

Walk or rent bikes and do the Stowe rec path. Beautiful and many great photo spots.

Walk along the rec path beside the Lamoile River in Jeffersonville (same town as Smuggs - a few miles north on Rt. 108.

Scenic drives on Rt 108 & Rt 15.

Washington DC...
4. Re: Staying at Smuggler's Notch in September...

I'll also be setup near Stowe, but from Sep-30th to Oct-03 purely for fall-foliage. Planning to do mt. mansfield, peacham, montogomery and the lake in Westmore. Have I covered the best fall-foliage spots in the northeast kingdom for that week, or are there still some must-see places, and must-do scenic drives at that time, in northeast region? If it's too late to see foliage in the northeast starting 30-Sep, I can change my plans if need be.

Also, I want to do the kancamungus scenic hwy in NH. How is the foliage on that drive likely to be around 02-Oct?

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
reviews: 41
5. Re: Staying at Smuggler's Notch in September...

USDC - If this year is typical, then you'll be early by a week or so for peak foliage. That said, there should be some good color in the higher terrain. (If things pop early, then you'll be right on... and since it's been a hot dry summer, maybe that'll happen.)

The Kanc Hwy if memory serves won't be turning until later. But will certainly still be scenic.

6. Re: Staying at Smuggler's Notch in September...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 02, 2013