We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to rent a house with friends- in need of help!

Which Killington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
reviews: 14
Trying to rent a house with friends- in need of help!

Some friends and I are looking to rent a house in December. Some of us ski, others don't but we want to be close to nightlife and maybe some things to do in town (shops, wineries, brewery?). I've been searching on homeaway.com but I'm just so unfamiliar with the area. Any suggestions for areas or websites to rent a house?

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
reviews: 17
1. Re: Trying to rent a house with friends- in need of help!

It would be best if you found several properties you thought looked good and were in your price range, THEN came here to ask for pros and cons about the different locations. I've used both homeaway and vrbo.com.

Burlington, Vermont
reviews: 6
2. Re: Trying to rent a house with friends- in need of help!

When you say "nightlife" you're options are (1) Burlington (the only real nightlife); or (2) a town that might have a handful of pubs/bars open until midnight or so.

You could definitely stay in Burlington, and the skiers could drive 45-60 minutes to ski at a number of different mountains. The non-skiers would love Burlington as it's hopping at night, tons of shopping, great restaurants.... There are a few VRBO properties in Burlington, but I think most are an apartment in a multi-family building, probably most of those attached to the owner's residence. Depending on your numbers, this might be a tough option. You'd probably be better off blocking together a few hotel rooms at one of the many Burlington hotels.

Or, you could get a condo for all of you to share at one of the many ski resorts. Places like Stratton, Sugarbush, Stowe, Smuggler's Notch, and Jay Peak, will all offer some dining/bar options on the mountain and restaurants nearby. Some have a few shops, and amenities like pools and hot tubs, and are near towns with a few shops and a couple bars and restaurants. But, again, not a lot of "nightlife" depending on how you define that term. Perhaps the only exception is Stowe, where on a Saturday night you'll find a handful of bars that are pretty packed until last call--but you'll need a car and DD to get from one to another.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
3. Re: Trying to rent a house with friends- in need of help!

Uh, there is plenty of nightlife at Killington. Moreso than Stowe, although Stowe is not bad, and the restaurants are probably better at Stowe. And there are a few shuttle/bus options at K, so you don't even need a DD if everyone wants to drink.

Not much of a town, though, for shopping, etc. Woodstock is probably the closest for that type of thing. Stowe has a little bit of a town, but really, neither one is going to keep a non-skier entertained for very long.

Alexandria, VA
reviews: 53
4. Re: Trying to rent a house with friends- in need of help!

As said above, there are few houses for rent in Burlington, but plenty of houses/townhouses/condos (some quite amazingly nice) in the ski areas. So I would suggest that you look at ski areas within a reasonable distance of Burlington to find accommodations that fit the size of your group and budget, and then look at what's available for the non-skiers at or near each ski place.

Addison Cty, VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
reviews: 31
5. Re: Trying to rent a house with friends- in need of help!

I'm assuming the original poster is talking about the Killington area since this was posted in the Killington forum.

There is nightlife at Killington as mentioned above. The Wobbly Barn and The Pickle Barrel are popular. The bars/restaurants are all along the access road so someone will have to be a designated driver since you'll need a car.

Edited: 7:56 pm, July 19, 2013
Albany, NY
reviews: 181
6. Re: Trying to rent a house with friends- in need of help!

The issue with non~skiers around the Killington/Pico area is the general lack of activities in the daytime. And there's a definite need for a car to get around, whether its K/P, Woodstock & S6, or Stowe. I would recommend...Mt.Tremblant. You won't need a car after arrival. It's the ski area all other Vermont areas dream they could become. The downside is its a lot farther than Killington/Pico, and doesn't have the really hard trails such as Stowe's Front Four or Killington's Julio.

new york
reviews: 14
7. Re: Trying to rent a house with friends- in need of help!

Thank you all for the suggestions. We will have vehicles so getting around isn't a huge deal. We are thinking about doing condos in the Killington area. Thanks!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
8. Re: Trying to rent a house with friends- in need of help!

Well, most condos (unlike houses) can be booked through Killington itself. Call them for their brochure. Tons of info and a map.

9. Re: Trying to rent a house with friends- in need of help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 am, August 01, 2014