We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Ski Rentals/And Other Questions

Which Killington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 2
Cheap Ski Rentals/And Other Questions

Hi, my wife and I just moved into the Boston area this year from out West and we've only skied in the Rockies so after some research I settled on Killington as the best thing out east considering snow, vertical, acreage etc. I'd love to here from someone who has skied out west how Killington compares to some places like Keystone, Snowmass, Breckenridge, Jackson Hole, Monarch, etc.

I know equipment rentals are typically a lot more expensive at the mountain rental shops. Do you have any suggestions as to where the best place would be considering price and equipment off the mountain? We'd like for it to be fairly close.

Also, I think I've settled on trying to find someplace to stay that is on the access road. How far is the entrance of the access road from the slopes? Is Killington the town reasonably close? Any suggestions on cheap quality places to stay?

We're trying to shoot for early January. Hopefully we aren't to late in trying to get a place booked. Have they seemed to have gotten quite a bit of natural snowfall by then or are they still relying on man-made snow quite a bit?

Thanks so much for you help in advance!

Casey

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
reviews: 17
1. Re: Cheap Ski Rentals/And Other Questions

The access road leads to the slopes, so if you mean one end of the access road, it is zero miles from the slopes! But, to answer your question (I think), Killington Road (the access road) is 5 miles long. The access road is basically the town. You’ll have to do a little research and come back with specific questions regarding lodging, because it would be fruitless for me to try and guess what you want and list every place.

Regarding “the town”. Killington, and in fact almost all eastern resorts, do not have a town like you do out west. There is nothing like Aspen or Breck or even Jackson, WY. Killington Road is a stretch of road with hotels and restaurants and very few shops. There is no “village” at all. There is a fake village in Stratton. Stowe is generally nicer and has a little bit of a village, but even Stowe is a little spread out.

Rental equipment: there are several ski shops on the access road which provide better equipment at a lower rate than the on-mountain rental shops. Pretty much pick one, but a few of the bigger ones include: Northern Ski Works, Aspen East, Peak Performance.

January snow can be epic, or you could be skiing on totally man-made. Last year was dreadful until mid-February, but it turned out to be the best late-season in years! This year could be the total opposite. You shouldn’t have any problem booking a place at all, unless you’re looking at MLK weekend.

Boston...
2. Re: Cheap Ski Rentals/And Other Questions

Great! Thank you very much for your help. We just haven't ever been up there so I was looking for some real basic facts.

Now that I understand the access road my question about lodging isn't that big of a deal. Do you think we could get a significantly better deal if we tried to find lodging that was a little ways from the access road, say maybe in a local community? Or does it make it to far of a morning drive to be worth it?

Thanks again!

Casey

Burlington, Vermont
reviews: 18
3. Re: Cheap Ski Rentals/And Other Questions

The drive from the nearest big "city" (Rutland) is an easy and relatively quick one, perhaps 20 minutes, so if you want to book something like the Holiday Inn in Rutland, it shouldn't be a major inconvenience at all. You'll probably save some money, though you won't have as nice an apres-ski experience.

At the same time, the "Killington Grand" hotel on the access road may be one of the cheesiest, most poorly-built hotels I've ever seen. It's the classic "100 yarder": looks fantastic from 100 yards distance, and when you see it up close, you know it's a Super 8 motel with Ritz Carlton prices.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
reviews: 17
4. Re: Cheap Ski Rentals/And Other Questions

Yes, Rutland isn't too far, although going over the Pico pass can be truly treacherous in bad weather. Also, Rutland is a solid 30 minutes from the slopes.

I still think that, coming from western ski resorts, that is not the type of "community" he will be looking for, however. It's really just a small city, with very little "atmosphere".

Not really in a "town", but have good rooms, and are not too far away, are the Corners Inn and October Inn (I think it is called), both in West Bridgewater (and on the 'net). There is also a town called Pittsfield just north of Killington, which has an inn or two, but can't remember their names.

Boston...
5. Re: Cheap Ski Rentals/And Other Questions

Great. Thanks. I think in that case, we'll be looking for some place along the access road just to be closer.

Casey

6. Re: Cheap Ski Rentals/And Other Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 14, 2009