We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about border crossing?

Which Burlington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield, VA
question about border crossing?

Hello all,

My family and I plan to fly to Burlington, VT on Friday of August, then we will rent a car to drive to Montreal, Canada. We will drive back to Burlington on Thursday so we just wonder how long it takes to cross the border for both ways?

Thanks in advance for your information

LQM

Burlington, Vermont
reviews: 18
1. Re: question about border crossing?

It can take 60 seconds, or it can take 2 hours. It just depends on which border crossing you use, when you go, and how much traffic you encounter. Suffice to say, coming back on a Sunday afternoon on a holiday weekend is likely to be a less than fun experience. Cross on Friday at mid-day should be brief...but at afternoon rush hour, might be lengthy. Coming back on Thursday morning or mid-day should be fairly short.

Edited: 7:06 pm, April 21, 2011
Vermont
reviews: 1
2. Re: question about border crossing?

The most convenient border crossing for you will be Swanton. It's a popular border crossing. Going into Canada is usually pretty quick.

US Customs is trickier. You can wait for an hour or so ... or you might only have to wait for a few minutes. Just depends on the time of day.

Be sure to have your passports.

Springfield, VA
3. Re: question about border crossing?

Thanks all for your information. I truly appreciate it.

JQM

Springfield, VA
4. Re: question about border crossing?

Hi Truman,

Is Swanton the most busiest border crossing? If it is, do you know other one that will be more quicker? Can you give me directions from BTV to the Swanton or other border crossing?

Thanks much in advance for your information,

LQM

Burlington, Vermont
reviews: 44
5. Re: question about border crossing?

Don't know if Swanton is the busiest, as I91 on the East side of the state gets alot of traffic.

Directions from BTV - exit left on Airport Parkway, 1/4 mile right on Williston Road, 2 miles Right on I89 North, 45 minitues later arrive at Border crossing is at the North end of I89. Very easy.

Springfield, VA
6. Re: question about border crossing?

Thanks so much for your direction.

LQM

7. Re: question about border crossing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, October 30, 2012