We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Champlain area worth it?

Which Burlington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, WA
reviews: 59
Lake Champlain area worth it?

I am driving into norther vermont on a 10 day foliage trip and thinking of going into the St. Albans, Lake Champlain area. Should I stay overnight there or go a bit east? Looking for a place with a good view, perhaps hiking or shopping and nice accomodations.

Addison Cty, VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
reviews: 31
1. Re: Lake Champlain area worth it?

When exactly are you coming?

The Burlington area is great - good shopping, beautiful scenery, and plenty of hotels/motels to choose from. Do you have a preference as to what type of lodging you like to stay in?

boston, MA
2. Re: Lake Champlain area worth it?

Definately worth it. Lake Champlain is a beautiful not overly developed ancient lake with alot to offer. The bike path is super, and would be a great way to experience the foliage, I am sure you could find a place to rent a bike. Kayaking and hiking are also very big. Burlington is a super city and has a great street (Church street I believe) that has almost exclusivley foot traffic and has great stores and nice restaurants that have indoor and outdoor seating. Have a great trip!

Vermont
reviews: 1
3. Re: Lake Champlain area worth it?

St. Albans is an okay town. The St. Albans Bay is nice. There is a state park there (Kilcare State Park). It's right on the water. Quite nice, especially if you want to be on the water.

I don't know of any great hiking in that area. It's one of the flattest part of the state. For great hiking, travel 45 minutes east to Jay Peak. Spend the night at the Black Lantern Inn (in Montgomery) ... one of the best in the state.

The views from the top of Jay are amazing.

For shopping, travel 30 minutes north to Knowlton, Quebec. Great little shops. Fantastic cheese and wine. Lots of apple orchards up there -- they will be bustling this time of year. The apple trees have done very well this year.

Colchester, Vermont
reviews: 2
4. Re: Lake Champlain area worth it?

I would go to Burlington before I went to St. Albans. St. Albans is pretty BLAH.

Jackson, NJ
reviews: 7
5. Re: Lake Champlain area worth it?

I grew up in St. Albans, wouldn't recommend it as a base of operations. Burlington or Stowe much nicer. Burlington advantage is near the lake, Stowe advantage in the mountains.