We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halverson's or VT Pub & Brewery

Which Burlington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
reviews: 59
Halverson's or VT Pub & Brewery

I am going to be stopping in Burlington on my way up to Montreal. I will be meeting up with an old college friend and I would love a nice place to sit and enjoy some catch up conversation.

I am not looking for a crazy bar, a place with some nice booths and some average pub food.

I am a true lovers of brewery's however my friend does not drink, so I am more into the atmosphere and her company than the beers this time around.

Please cast your votes... Halverson's or the brewery? Does the brewery allow you to take beer to go (in a growler or similar)?

Thanks!

Burlington, Vermont
reviews: 18
1. Re: Halverson's or VT Pub & Brewery

Are you sure Halverson's brews their own beer? I don't think they do...though they do offer local microbrews brewed by other conmpanies.

I'm not a big fan of either place, the food is decidedly pedestrian at both, and the beer at VT Pub is mediocre too. Give me a tasty Pilsner Urquell any day of the week over the swill served up at VT Pub.

Philadelphia
reviews: 59
2. Re: Halverson's or VT Pub & Brewery

Swill is never good!

What suggestion would you make for lunch \ early supper then?

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
reviews: 32
3. Re: Halverson's or VT Pub & Brewery

Of the two...definately VT PUb & Brewery. I've never had a good meal at Halversons, and as sign said, I don't think they make their own beer.

The VT Pub has good brews and has standard pub fare. Not awesome, but not bad either (the food-I like the beer).

NDG
reviews: 1
4. Re: Halverson's or VT Pub & Brewery

You can get growlers at the VPB, by the way. Swill? Maybe a question of taste. The Vermont Pub and Brewery is Vermont's first brewpub and has been around for 20 years and I believe have won awards for their beers. Tends to have a relatively quiet crowd. I like it, though my allegiance has lately switched to the American Flatbread company a couple doors down on St. Paul Street (though this is more a family pizza resaturant than just a place to have a beer).

Burlington, Vermont
reviews: 18
5. Re: Halverson's or VT Pub & Brewery

I've generally found VT Pub & Brewery's various brews to be watery and often acidic. YMMV...

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
reviews: 41
6. Re: Halverson's or VT Pub & Brewery

Both places are fine. The VT Pub edges out Halvorsen's slightly for food and brews (though the food is basic at both). I recently went back to the Scuffer (on Church St.) and was blown away by the high end assortment of interesting beers. That's now the top place for brews and good above-basic food IMHO.

Scottsdale Arizona
reviews: 9
7. Re: Halverson's or VT Pub & Brewery

I just ate at VT Pub and Brewery and it is very overrated. I tried all the beers (via samplers) and they were not up to par.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
reviews: 41
8. Re: Halverson's or VT Pub & Brewery

They've been variable in the past, and esp. the service. They've got nice burgers, bangers and mash, sweet potato fries, and nachos (w/ chili on the side). They always have a couple of good brews, and usually a few that are just so-so.

Halvorsens has similarly good pub food and generally a nice assortment of local microbrews. Plus, they have live music Thursdays and weekends.

:)

9. Re: Halverson's or VT Pub & Brewery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, October 03, 2009