We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SUV vs Ground Transportation

Which Snowbird hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
SUV vs Ground Transportation

Me and my Wife planning a trip to Snowbird on Nov30 – Dec4 2006.

We are adventurous people and both good skiers.

Reserved room at Cliff Lodge with lift tickets and transportation included to/from airport.

I also reserved SUV for traveling around and ability to try other slopes near Alta/Snowbird.

But from different forums I found that if the weather is not good roads could be closed for private cars, and the only transportation allowed is shuttles from the “Canyon Transportation” company or similar.

So if it would be snowstorm, does it make sense to rent a car?

Thank you for any suggestions.

West Jordan, Utah
reviews: 16
1. Re: SUV vs Ground Transportation

Sometimes, they will shut down the roads in the morning to all transportation in the Cottonwood Canyons to do avalanche control. But they almost always open up by 9 AM or so, especially in late November and early December.

But if you want to go to Deer Valley, Park City or the Canyons; the roads should be open all the time and you need a car to get there.

I don't have a calendar nearby. Does your stay include a Saturday? If it's a powder day, the parking lots may fill up and you may need to take public transportation so you don't have a half hour walk to your car.

New York
2. Re: SUV vs Ground Transportation

Thanks for such quick answer.

Yes, our stay includes Saturday. And what does "powder day" mean?

Also how about traffic in SLC.

And is it really enough snow at this period of time?

Thank you.

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
reviews: 65
3. Re: SUV vs Ground Transportation

No traffic worries here.

A powder day is a day there is freshly falling or fallen snow the night before. This is what everyone here lives for so early in the morning so the parking lots at the resorts fill up with those that want to make fresh new tracks in the snow.

IF you are staying at Snowbird- and they are providing transportation then you don't need to worry about anything. Relax and enjoy yourself. You don't need a car to get to Alta. It's right next door. You can take the canyon bus or ski there. If a company will deliver you a car for a day or yon our last day-then it might be nice to have one to go over to Park City for a day or into Salt Lake for an evening out. Otherwise the canyon bus will easily get you to the bottom of Little Cottonwood Canyon where you can pick up another bus to take up Big Cottonwood Canyon and check out Solitude or Brighton but I wouldn't bother in the little time you will be here...you will not get bored with the terrain. Your best bet for the best and most snow this time of year is right where you are staying. I doubt you will need an SUV- if they have a Subaru that will work. Have fun!!!

Salt Lake City, UT
reviews: 8
4. Re: SUV vs Ground Transportation

>>But from different forums I found that if the weather is not good roads could be closed for private cars, and the only transportation allowed is shuttles from the “Canyon Transportation” company or similar.<<

Not sure when you found this claim, but it sure is a myth as far as I know.

5. Re: SUV vs Ground Transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, August 21, 2009