We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Large family vacation in June, 2013

Which Snowbird hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WI
reviews: 16
Large family vacation in June, 2013

We are contemplating an extended family vacation at a Timeshare resort in Snowbird in mid June next year. None of us have ever been to Utah. We have ages from 12 to 81 years. Is there enough to do in the Summer to entertain that variety of ages? Does the altitude cause altitude sickness problems typically? Is the weather warm in mid June, or would the altitude make it quite cold yet? Any tips or information would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 202
1. Re: Large family vacation in June, 2013

Snowbird is a great place, summer or winter. But there's a limited amount of activity there. It's an amazing outdoor center at the end of a canyon - very much in the wilderness. You can hike, bike, etc. but there's limited restaurants and other activities for those who may not be outdoor oriented. Mid-June will be warm (not hot) days up there and cool nights. Yes, it's higher altitude than you would be accustomed but I doubt if it will be an issue. It's no higher than the pressurization level of an airliner.

While this may not be an option for you if you have a timeshare possibility there, Park City would be far better for this type of activity - mountain village with hundreds of restaurants and shops, significantly more activities.

Good luck in your planning. I'm sure you'll get plenty of other advice here.

WI
2. Re: Large family vacation in June, 2013

We are approaching our time in Snow Bird. We are renting condos so we have cooking ability. Are there grocery stores near by that we can stock our kitchens with? We don't arrive until 6:30 pm so am a little concerned on the timing of getting groceries/liquor. Any tips would be welcome!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 202
3. Re: Large family vacation in June, 2013

You should have no problem getting what you need with a 6:30 pm arrival. Just drive from the airport east on I-80 to the east side of Salt Lake City where you'll connect southbound on I-225. Immediately take the first exit right (3300 South). Just a block or two off the freeway will be a huge Smith's grocery store where you can get food and 3.2 beer. In the complex across the street (behind REI) is a State Liquore Store open until 10 p.m. (closed on Sundays). There you can get liquor and strong beer. It's not the biggest store in the city but it's well enough stocked you'll be fine. From there it's just 20-30 minutes to Snowbird. And that's the last convenient stop for groceries.

Just to reiterate my earlier message, do note that you're coming in June to a high elevation setting. That does mean you'll still find snow on trails. There's also not much for infrastructure up at Snowbird. Beautiful place but you're there on the early side of summer. There are also more convenient grocery stores if you need to drive back down to the valley. The one I suggested was the most convenient for your route from the airport.

Have fun.

WI
4. Re: Large family vacation in June, 2013

Thank you so much. This is perfect to put my mind at ease!

Reply to: Large family vacation in June, 2013
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted