We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski trip at Snowbird First week of April - several questions

Which Snowbird hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ann Arbor, Michigan
reviews: 2
Ski trip at Snowbird First week of April - several questions

My wife and I are planning a trip to Snowbird for 7 days during the first week of April, staying at the Inn. Are the ski/weather conditions still pretty good at that time?

I'm not sure whether to rent a car or not. Are there any restrictions driving to the resort from SLC? Do you need a car? Are Grocery store and restaurants within walking distance to the Inn?

Thanks.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 238
1. Re: Ski trip at Snowbird First week of April - several questions

You should be fine on snow conditions at Snowbird the first week in April. You may get winter conditions or spring skiing, but either will be fantastic.

Yes, you can easily take a shuttle or even public bus up to Snowbird. You can get along well without a car. However, you won't have easy access to a grocery store. You can take a city bus down to the valley and shop, but that would be a hassle. There are a variety of restaurants up at Snowbird and Alta, but not that many. So without a car, you may get a bit stir crazy. But it's not essential.

Have fun.

Greenfield...
reviews: 8
2. Re: Ski trip at Snowbird First week of April - several questions

Hi I would say by the time you pay for the shuttle for two people each way I believe about $75 each person round trip, you might as well rent a car. That way you can go to town at night and eat at many of the normally priced restraints like Olive Garden, Famous Dave’s, and the rest. They are only about 20 minutes away from Snowbird. The view coming down canyon at sunset is amazing. The drive back up is also very dark and curvy but you get use to it. I have done it many, many times. Alamo has been the cheapest car to rent there. Go on line and find some coupons that they normally have.

alvinut
3. Re: Ski trip at Snowbird First week of April - several questions

Mountain conditions are always unpredictable, but Snowbird is definitely one of the surest bets for late season conditions. A car serves little to no purpose within Snowbird or even Alta as there is very little development around the two ski areas - just some lodges and private homes - but a car will be very handy for travel back and forth from the valley. Be aware that there are driving restrictions on the access road to Snowbird:

"By law, snow tires or chains are required on all vehicles entering the canyon from November 1st to May 1st. During heavy snowstorms, the canyon may be temporarily restricted to 4WD or chain-equipped vehicles only. "

And the road does close frequently for avalanche control during and after storms - just something to be aware of before venturing too far from the hotel during inclement weather...

Ann Arbor, Michigan
reviews: 2
4. Re: Ski trip at Snowbird First week of April - several questions

Thanks for the info! Can you get rental cars with chains?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 238
5. Re: Ski trip at Snowbird First week of April - several questions

Most rental car companies in SLC will give you snow tires in winter or you can make that request. Most car rental companies anywhere won't allow chains. Your odds of needing anything the first week in April are very low. But there's no way to know for sure.

Murray, Utah
reviews: 11
6. Re: Ski trip at Snowbird First week of April - several questions

You can also buy chains pretty cheaply and keep them in the car just in case. Check with the rental company to see if they allow you to put chains on the car, they may have restrictions on that. Also, if you don't use the chains just return them and get a refund.

Greenfield...
7. Re: Ski trip at Snowbird First week of April - several questions

Yes, I agree with both # 5 and 6 of the above. Rental company do not let you put chains on there cars but how are they going to know. The 7 11 at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon sells chains for like $50. One thing I can add is that you pack a little Duck Tape handy so that you can tape down the extra cable end on your chains so it does not flip around and damage the wheel wells and fenders on the car. I wish I had some two years ago. We had to buy chains (they are cables now but still called chains) to get up to Alta in early March. We got like 72" in three days. The chains chiped both of the wheel well fenders. We had to buy some touch-up paint and paint them up. I think we were lucky we got away with it because they did not look that good when we were done. Odds are you will not need them that late in the season, BUT.

Millersville...
8. Re: Ski trip at Snowbird First week of April - several questions

I am considering going to snowbird the 3rd week of april. Is it safe to book travel and invest in an expensive week there that late in the season? Can we really count on there being snow and good skiing?

Greenfield...
9. Re: Ski trip at Snowbird First week of April - several questions

Depends on what you call “good skiing”. In Little Cottonwood Canyon (Snowbird and Alta) there will be tons of snow. The very bottom might be some what bare with a lot of brown snow, but once you get up mountain you won’t worry about it at all. Will it be great powder snow? It could be but I would say it would more likely be spring conditions with what is called “corn snow”. I have fun in it either way. The best way I found to describe corn snow is, think of a mountain of butter. Now think of riding down on your two sticks for 2 or 3 thousand feet on top of that mountain of butter. No, you will not take any face shots in pow but you will have a great time and odds are it will be about 60 degrees and you will be skiing with short sleeves on and getting a great tan. That leads me to this warning SUN BLOCK . Take tons of it and use it often. If you do not, you will pay the price. Ears and noses must be protected at that time of year. In 7 days you could have a great storm come through for some of the days and dump 20 inches. They do get about 70 inches of snow in April.

Michigan
reviews: 12
10. Re: Ski trip at Snowbird First week of April - several questions

To say snow conditions at snowbird are unpredictable is an understatement. I'm in my condo just outside snowbird right now and yesterday it was 40 degrees and rained all day, not to mention the fog, you couldn't see a thing even if you wanted to brave the cold rain (which I did). Today it only rained a little but it was fifty degrees. The snow is pitiful IN THE MIDDLE OF JANUARY!!

Hope yours is better.