We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

favorite St George/Snow Canyon hikes?

Which St. George hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
680 posts
19 reviews
favorite St George/Snow Canyon hikes?

mom, sister, hubby and I are spending a week in St George (timeshare) in late January and are hoping to explore Snow Canyon or other areas nearby. We are between 40-68 yrs old and all fit enough for moderate hikes. I have this link and have been looking at it, but I was looking for feedback on which of them are "don't miss" trails and why.

http://www.utah.com/stgeorge/hike.htm

During that week we will also be heading over to Zion probably twice and throwing in an overnight near Bryce weather permitting (and government gets their act together!) . Hubby and I did the circle of 2 nights each in Page, Bryce, Zion and North Rim last year with hikes in each in the fall but never made it over to St George- I understand it is beautiful. Mom and sister have never been to any of the areas here so I can't wait to show them more of the southwest! Thanks in advance for your input!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
20,025 posts
84 reviews
1. Re: favorite St George/Snow Canyon hikes?

I wish I had more info on some of these Hikes. The person who I knew who would know about them is not here now, and I have done very little hiking in Snow Canyon....

But I can tell you, that they have been probably on all of the hikes mentioned. All of them have interesting things to see and do. Snow Canyon is quite beautiful for hiking in. I would suggest you pick the ones that interest you most.

Be prepared though as some of the hiking might be walking though Sand which takes quite alot out of you.

The small Sand Dunes are fun to play in and dig in the sand for all ages Imo. A beach with no ocean ;)

It not likely Pine Valley which is about a 40 min drive or so from St George would not be accessible since its wintertime unfortunately, and that offers some really beautiful Scenery in that area, and Whipple Trail has a nice creek running through the trail and is popular to hike in that area.

If its Ok, Im going to send you some extra info on hikes in a private message that you might be interested in.

If you would like suggestions of where to eat ect. you can tell me what kind of food you like, budget ect as Im fairly familiar with good places to eat in the area. You could also include where the timeshare is located.

Theres also quite alot to do just in St George area, as there are a few very interesting historic Homes to visit, as well as other things to do, as you can see in the list of 10 things to do in St George in the link you posted which is a good one that I usually use.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
680 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: favorite St George/Snow Canyon hikes?

Thanks for the reply! And please PM any info you'd like. Timeshare is Worldmark on Plantation drive. I love to cook on vacation and have a full kitchen and grill on patio so we may eat a meal out if I am too tired, but not likely other than the overnight in Bryce- unless there is a "don't miss" for restaurants in St George in addition to any hikes.

On that note though- are you familiar with any local farmer's markets- and/or should I put that question on a different thread? We live in Az/Phoenix area and I will be bringing up chorizo and tortillas from favorite local place here to get my mexican fix, but I usually look to the local markets to get what is most fresh there for everything else I can. (Ha- that just reminded me that I always get pulled aside at the airport for the food I pack along! Need to factor in extra time- the chorizo is worth it!!!) I realize it is January but we still have some markets that are year round here so thought it worth asking.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
20,025 posts
84 reviews
3. Re: favorite St George/Snow Canyon hikes?

Unfortunately I dont think your going to find many Farmers Market type of thing in Jan, most are held in the warmer months. There is the one in Santa Clara but I dont know if that will be open in Jan or not.

http://www.freisfruitmarket.com/

Theres not anything showing up that I can see yet for Jan of 2014 on thier general Calendar, so you may have to wait a bit to see what shows up here, but theres not likely to be alot happening from what I remember in January.

www.utah.com/database/events/index.phtml…

Im somewhat familiar with those Timeshares, as I have had relative stay there a few times. They were nice inside, and the area around them is fine. You have a little bit of a drive to Groceries stores ect, but not that far.

It looks like there is a Green Valley Market at 567 S Valley View Dr St George, UT 84770 which is fairly close to you, but I dont know anything about it. Lins Market is a standard good Grocery Store pretty near where you are located, but I dont think they are going to offer anything special.

Harmons is a pretty nice grocery store on E 700 S., but thats in downtown St George, but not a long distance from where you are located. Maybe a 20-25 min drive.

Kneaders Bakery.... on Bluff St has very good fresh baked goods, and great deserts!! They also offer a good breakfast and Sandwich/soup type of lunches.

The Black Bear Diner... has really good standard Food for a great price and nice atmosphere.

For a really good meal, I have heard the Painted Pony is good

Edited: 1:05 pm, October 06, 2013
4. Re: favorite St George/Snow Canyon hikes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 08, 2014