We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bicycles and st. george

Which St. George hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
tucson
reviews: 34
bicycles and st. george

We have folding bikes that we are thinking of bringing with us to St. george where we will be playing pickleball in the Huntsman Games in October. How bike friendly is the area - especially with travel bikes like ours? Thanks for your advice.

8 replies to this topic
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 83
1. Re: bicycles and st. george

Sounds like fun. Not sure exactly what your asking as far as being "bike Friendly" that can mean a few different things, can you give more specifics about what you may want to do?

tucson
2. Re: bicycles and st. george

Well, we are staying at a motel near the university on St George Ave. The pickleball venues are too far away to bike, but we were thinking we could use them to get to restaurants and just kind of looking around neighborhoods. I am dying to try the poke restaurant, for example, and it looks doable of google. But I don't know how hilly it is... if there are bike lanes... if drivers are generally accepting of and courteous to cyclists, etc. These bikes have little wheels and only 3 gears, so they are really only good for easy riding. Doe that help?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
3. Re: bicycles and st. george

Yes, that does help.

Im assuming you mean you are staying somewhere on St George Blvd.

Downtown St George is quite small and the actual downtown area is pretty biking friendly Imo. I dont remember if there are bike lanes in all areas there or not, I dont pay attention really, but you should not have any issues with biking around in that area. People are used to the events that happen in the area including biking events, and there are lots of trails to bike on around St George.

I have not eaten at the "poke" restaurant you mention, and just recently even heard about it, so I believe its newer. You should not have any issues getting there, but I would avoid the busier streets to travel on with a bike such as St George Blvd, and Bluff Street in general and take the back roads to the restaurant which would be easier for you.

The Valley has a gradual slope for alot of it starting on the South End, and a more pronouced one as you get closer to St George Blvd going North. Your bike though should be fine in these areas except for North of St George Blvd where it slopes alot, but you would not likely be going into that area.

Other restaurants that you may want to try in the area.... Kneaders Bakery... serves a great breakfast and lunch type of menu along with great desserts. Black Bear Diner, best inexpensive food in town with a wide menu of good food. They are always busy, but usually only about a 15 min wait at most even if there is a line out the door which there often is. For a nice meal, the Painted Pony is said to be good.

What you would want to keep in mind when visiting for your event is... St George downtown area is very small, there are quite a few restaurant including the standard ones on S. River Road most of which are Chain restaurants but all of them I have gone to so far have good standard food.

So..... Your going to have large crowds staying at the various Motels and Hotel around the area all wanting to get something to eat. You may want to consider eating at off times which will help some, but things will just be really congested trying to get anywhere during this larger event. Restaurant especially are affected alot when things are very busy, and you can have long wait times at alot of restaurants. You may want to pick a few that will allow reservations which will help alot such as the Painted Pony ect. As I said the Black Bear diner is a good option as the wait times even when busy are managable. Other restaurants however are likely going to be about a 1 hour wait time if there are people waiting out the door.

Edited: 6:26 pm, September 24, 2013
tucson
4. Re: bicycles and st. george

That's very helpful information. Thank you very much :)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
5. Re: bicycles and st. george

Btw, lots to do in St George and the area surrounding it! Theres lots of interesting Historic Buildings you can visit in the Downtown mostly area ect. And Snow Canyon is fun to visit. Heres more info with the top 10 things to do.

http://www.utah.com/stgeorge/

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
6. Re: bicycles and st. george

If you would like info about where you are staying such as its rating ect you can let me know what Motel you have booked.

tucson
7. Re: bicycles and st. george

Thanks, but I checked it out pretty thoroughly months ago when I made the reservation and think we will be fine. It's in the top few in this site and early reservations paid off price-wise. I think the town will be pretty busy for the week before and our week. Just pickleball - one of dozens of sports offered - has 500 competitors.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
8. Re: bicycles and st. george

Have fun on your trip then! St George weather in Oct is usually really nice!

Reply to: bicycles and st. george
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted