We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St George for an overnight stop?

Which St. George hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
156 posts
13 reviews
St George for an overnight stop?

Hi

We are a family of four, with two teenage sons (13 and 15) planning a trip to the South West next summer (2014) from the UK.

We are starting with the Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon and Bryce Canyon, then heading up to Yosemite via (probably) Death Valley. I am working on our schedule and am looking for somewhere to stay overnight after we've been to Bryce - we will head to DV the following morning.

Is St George a good choice for an overnight stay? We'll just be looking for somewhere clean, friendly and comfortable (preferably with a pool!) and close enough to walk to a restaurant for dinner. I was looking at the Inn at Entrada - would that be a good choice?

Any advice on either St George itself, or hotel recommendations, would be really helpful. Many thanks!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: St George for an overnight stop?

Greetings Ekes, welcome out west.

The one thing I am noticing from your itinerary is no mention of visiting Zion National Park. If you're in this area you should make time to hike the Narrows or Angel's Landing or at bare minimum take a shuttle tour. A couple of days in the park, based out of Springdale, would be preferable. Antelope Canyon and Bryce can be seen relatively quickly, and with the driving you'll do to get there, I'm not sure I'd go to those places and bypass time at Zion's expense...

It's always recommended to stay a night at Bryce, as sunrise is the best time to view the amphitheater. The night sky isn't to be missed either because of the absence of light pollution and thin air due to a higher elevation. Makes the Milky Way really jump out, so Bryce often arranges ranger led astronomy tours.

St. George is a fairly large city for this part of the world. Washington County is just shy of 150,000 residents, which means there will be more amenities, lodging, etc, than other places you'll encounter on route. Like much of the Western U.S, it was developed after the advent of the automobile, so urban sprawl is the rule. St. George is not a walkable city unless you are staying right on Main Street with some options nearby, but those will largely be cookie-cutter national chains. St. George is also a retirement community, so you may encounter some odd rules at the resort you're staying, especially with teenage boys. You'll have to check. Entrada looks nice, though I've never personally stayed there. It looks as if they have a restaurant on site and pool as well. innatentrada.com/Dining_6d62aa26fca519050c7f…

The other benefit of Entrada is that Snow Canyon is nearby, which would be fun to explore for a couple of hours and perhaps watch a sunset. Seems like a good option for an overnight stay and would put you 4+ hours from D.V.

Edited: 12:06 pm, September 10, 2013
London
Level Contributor
156 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: St George for an overnight stop?

Hi shake801

Thanks for your reply! Yes, Zion has been tentatively on our list, but we have so much to fit in (including San Francisco and some of the coast) that we've been trying to prioritise. I do know that Zion is worth visiting though, so will look at rescheduling so we can find time to spend there too.

Thanks for the advice on St George; we're really just looking for somewhere to relax and crash for the night, but Snow Canyon also sounds fun. So much to see, so little time... (which is a nice problem to have ;-) )

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
19,968 posts
84 reviews
3. Re: St George for an overnight stop?

St George is a fun place to stay the night, there is acutally lots to do in the area. The Inn at Entrada is a great choice with some stunning scenery, but nothing in walking distance, for that you would need to stay in downtown St George, and most of those would not really be walkable to alot.

But frankley, I would visit Zion over Bryce Canyon if you can only visit one, as there are lots of interesting places to visit there! Or at least add your night at in Sprindale which is right at the base basically of Zion Park and visit. Something like the Desert Pearl for a place to stay is a good option it has nice views and a creek that runs behind the property. Your only saving about 45 min or driving if you stay in St George instead.

Heres a list of things to do though in St George and surrounding areas if you decide on staying there.

http://www.utah.com/stgeorge/

Snow Canyon is fun to visit with the Sand Dunes, but St George can also be quite hot in Summertime so it would depend on when you are visiting whether you would want to visit outdoor areas in the early morning hours when its bearable or would not need to. If you have more questions about St George, or finding somewhere you are interested in staying at be sure to ask.

Edited: 3:09 pm, September 10, 2013
London
Level Contributor
156 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: St George for an overnight stop?

This is great. Thanks so much. Looks like Zion is back on the list ;-)

We're definitely doing Bryce Canyon too, so just need to find time for both now...

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
14,555 posts
125 reviews
5. Re: St George for an overnight stop?

While it would be a long day seeing Bryce and then driving through Zions to stay in Springdale would be the way I would suggest. Try to start early. Your visits to both parks will of necessity be too short for anything but a quick taste. But they are very different from each other and from the other places you will visit.

If you can I would only visit the main amphitheater in Bryce (Sunrise, Sunset and Inspiration points) and take the Navajo loop trail.

In Zion at least take the shuttle to the end of the road and get out and walk up Riverside Trail. (might have to do that in the morning before you take off for Death Valley. It will take about 2 hrs for the ride and walk).

There is a wide variety of hotels in Springdale to chose from. The less expensive are usually just as clean, but without all the upgrades and modern looks.

London
Level Contributor
156 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: St George for an overnight stop?

Ok, now we've properly added a couple of nights in Zion to our schedule, which should be great. We've booked accommodation there, but not yet at Bryce. We were looking at Ruby's Inn, but that seems to have had some less than favourable reviews recently. Can anyone make any recommendations for one night at Bryce?

We really appreciate your help!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
19,968 posts
84 reviews
7. Re: St George for an overnight stop?

Ekes,

If you dont get any replies to your request for where to stay in Bryce Canyon, you may want to post in that forum so your question can be seen better by those who post in that area.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g143015-i1469-Bryc…

London
Level Contributor
156 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: St George for an overnight stop?

Thanks - I've had a look and have decided to book at the Bryce Canyon Lodge. As we only have one night, I figured it would be best to stay in the park.

Thanks again!

st george,utah
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: St George for an overnight stop?

Ekes, don't miss Zion park for sure! I'm glad you put it on your itinerary.

I've stayed at Ruby's multiple times and had no problems at all.

Best wishes!

London
Level Contributor
156 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: St George for an overnight stop?

Hi Tweed - we've actually decided to stay for two nights now and are staying at the Desert Pearl. Some friends of ours stayed there a few years ago and it was great.

Thanks