We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! When to go- August or November?

Which St. George hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 35
Help! When to go- August or November?

I have an opportunity to go to St. George in either the beginning of August or November? What is the weather like in both of these months? I wanted to see Zion Park and also get some golf in. Will it be too hot in August for both of these activities? I could also choose the area around Bryce if the weather would be better in either of these months. Please help me to make a decision. Although I have been to SLC many times, I have never been farther south in Utah. I hear it is absolutely beautiful. Thanks!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 9
1. Re: Help! When to go- August or November?

In August the weather at Bryce is great. Average hi/lo 80/45.

St George and Zion will be 90s-100. If you golf early its just fine. Zion has a river running thru it and shade trees.

In November, Zion and St George may be in the 60s-70's.Bryce will be cooler, probably the 50s and in the teens-20s at night.

November is starting to be the off season, and hotel rates may begin dropping, which is a plus.

Edited: 1:16 pm, June 03, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 88
2. Re: Help! When to go- August or November?

Keep in mind that average temps for the area are pretty much usless in a very hot climate. As St George some years in August can be anywhere between 100 and 115 or so degrees F. More likely on the higher side of that scale. August is very hot. I would suggest visiting in early Nov, weather is usually quite mild and nice in comparison.

Zion and Bryce are at higher elevations, but early Nov is still usually good weather for Zion.

Late April early May, or very late Sept/Oct are usually the best months to visit these areas in general weatherwise, but are also the most popular times. If you are thinking of booking somewhere during those time periods or you want to stick to August, you would need to make those reservations for Hotels ASAP.

When its hotter weather, most kinds of hiking ect must be done in the early morning hours, which Imo doesnt leave you much to do for the rest of the day. I would not even consider visiting Zion in August as its just not comfortable weather Imo.

Keep in mind, that Zion is about a 45 min drive or so from St George, so if your plans include mostly visiting there, you may want to stay closer to that area, such as Springdale which is right near the entrance to Zion.

If you would like help finding a place to stay in St George, you can give us a budget per night, and what kind of accomodations you are looking for. There are also a few good restaurants in the area, as well as lots to do just in the St George and area surrounding.

http://www.utah.com/stgeorge/

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 35
3. Re: Help! When to go- August or November?

Thanks for the help. Can you tell me how the weather would be around Moab? My husband has a business trip in SLC, so we wanted to take advantage of seeing the southern part of Utah. If it is too hot for St. George in August, would it be any better in Moab? We are looking at the Sorrel River Ranch and it looks very nice. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!

Edited: 4:08 pm, June 03, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 88
4. Re: Help! When to go- August or November?

Its about the same in most of Southern Utah during August, and Moab from what I understand is going to be about the same temps as Zion or surrounding areas.

5. Re: Help! When to go- August or November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 05, 2014