We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel suggestion/area for St. George?

Which St. George hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Provo, UT
reviews: 15
Hotel suggestion/area for St. George?

Hi! We're coming down to the area the 13-16th of June. We're staying in Springdale the first two nights to see Zions, Kolob Canyons, Best Friends, and possibly the Pink Sand Dunes. The night of the 15th we'll be in St. George. We've been through many times, but never stayed to explore! I'd love some hotel suggestions.

We have a 19 month old, I'm 5 months pregnant, our hotel budget is about $80-$120/night. I seen that the Best Western/LaQuinta is within our budget, but I think this will be our relaxed portion of our trip so I'm okay spending a little more on a nicer hotel if it's worth it. We love having a good view, a patio, & a great pool/hot tub. Free breakfast would be a plus. A good area with shopping, restaurants, or fun places to visit with a little guy would be great.

We are thinking of possibly visiting Snow Canyons (Jennie's Canyon, Lava Trails, sand dune area) on the 16th before our drive back to Provo.

Any hotel or area we should be looking into? Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 116
1. Re: Hotel suggestion/area for St. George?

We stayed at the new LaQuinta last summer on the south side of town, near I-15. It was gorgeous. We often use LQ because they are affordable and dog friendly. This was probably the nicest LQ we've ever stayed in. I wouldn't hesitate to go back. In fact, I'd go out of my way to stay there again when I need a room in the area.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 80
2. Re: Hotel suggestion/area for St. George?

I wouldnt consider the LaQuinta as being in a very scenic area. Basically right in the middle of town near the ball fields. But is does seem to be well rated.

If you wanted something with a view, you might try the Courtyard by Marriott, or the Townplace Suites, both are situated right near the mountain with nothing in back of them, higher up on a hill where you can see the City if you ask a view room on the West side of the Hotels. I dont know about balconies, as they appear to have at least a juliet type of balcony but I dont know if you can walk out or not. They are in close driving distance to alot of restaurants. However, I would not miss eating at the Black Bear Diner, its excellent food at a great price. They are alway full out the door, but usually no more than a 15 min wait time.

Keep in mind even in early June its likely to be hot in St George. Any hiking ect would most need to be done in the early morning hours to avoid the heat especially with children.

The Dinosaur museum is fun to visit for children. There are also alot of historical homes to visit and walk through such as the Brigham Young home which has very neat furnishings especially in the large bedroom.

Heres more info on things to do in St George that should be helpful to you. As well as whats going on in the area.

http://www.utah.com/stgeorge/

In the middle of St George off of mainstreet, basically there is a water play area for children thats likely to have water running that time of year..

You may also want to consider making a daytrip to Pine Valley if its too hot in St George. Its about a 45 min drive from St George. Its at a higher elevation and much cooler. Its a fun place to visit with large Pine trees and a resevoir that you can fish in. Farther up there is also the Whipple trail head with a small creek running down to the resevoir with usually small fish in it, and there are sometimes deer there.

Edited: 1:55 am, May 27, 2013
Provo, UT
3. Re: Hotel suggestion/area for St. George?

Thanks guys! Any other thoughts out there?

Santa Ana, CA
reviews: 11
4. Re: Hotel suggestion/area for St. George?

I've only stayed at the Ambassador Inn. But I don't think there'd be much of a patio or view.

I've never considered St. George to be a destination; only a town to pass through.

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 9
5. Re: Hotel suggestion/area for St. George?

We just returned from a week long trip to St George. Our group of 6 included my elderly parents, two adults and two kids (my youngest has special needs). We visited Snow Canyon and I think it would be nice for your family too. We only walked Pioneer Name trail as it was easy for my parents and my special needs child to walk. My youngest would have loved to spend all day in the sand area, but there is no shade, not benches, so we didn't explore it. But the sand is super soft. Not sure if your little one still eats sand. Both my kids did at that age. There were lots of bathrooms and it was easy drive around.

If your little one needs to burn some energy. I would recommend going to the free water play area downtown at the Town Square. It's a park with lots of bathrooms, grass, shade, parking, etc. Hubby can stay with little one and you can do a little shopping along downtown. Just be sure to take a bag of snacks and juice as I didn't see a food vendor. Easy walking but the stores are not stroller friendly. Or have hubby stay with little one to play in hotel pool (and maybe nap time afterwards) and you drive to town square for some mommy time. Super easy to drive around. Pick up downtown map at hotel. My mother and I parked at the Town Square parking lot, toured The Tabernacle, then went walking up the street for shopping time.

We really enjoyed our week in St George and plan on returning.

Provo, UT
6. Re: Hotel suggestion/area for St. George?

Thank you for all of your help. We chose the La Quinta on the south side of town and it was lovely. The rooms were nice and large, and the pool was great. We ended up getting into town later than anticipated so we didn't do much that evening. We spent the morning at the pool, then headed to a Father's Day lunch and drove home.

Reply to: Hotel suggestion/area for St. George?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted