We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good spot in St George for a sunset?

Which St. George hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 50
Good spot in St George for a sunset?

Hello, we'll be staying in St.George tomorrow and it's possible that we will be arriving right at the sunset time.

I don't know much about St George and how scenic it is (just heard recently that High School Musical was shot somewhere in that area and the scenery in the movie looked pretty, although I didn't watch the whole movie :) )

Are there any scenic spots in St George or in close proximity (we'll be driving from Las Vegas) to enjoy sunset and get great pictures?

If somebody can recommend a good place to dine with a nice view that would work too :)

Thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 85
1. Re: Good spot in St George for a sunset?

Heres the list for Sunrise Sunset times for St George. Keep in mind, St George is 1 hour later than Las Vegas time.

timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

Downtown St George is smaller and surrounded by mountains so there are not many places with any kind of view. The ones i can think of would be expensive likely.

There would only be a few i could think of, and those would likely need prior reservations, but you could call tomorrow morning.

The Inn at Entranda........ has a nice restaurant in a very beautiful area and would have a nice view.

www.golfentrada.com/Default.aspx…

This one also seems interesting, Fio's culinary adventures,...... but i have not heard of anyone who has been there, but if you look at the photos they basically bring you out into the wide open desert, that area should have some good scenery as well.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g57119-d21…

If you are planning on visiting Zion National Park, its only about a 1 hour drive from that area and has some good retaurants with good views of the Canyon as well.

Places you could drive to with some likely good pictures would be on top of the Bluff just North of Downtown St George on Red Hills Pkwy. There is some beautiful redrock scenery there of St George and the surrounding mountains ect. and there are places to stop to get out where you can get close to the edge of the Hill.

Edited: 11:34 pm, August 29, 2012
Seattle, Washington
2. Re: Good spot in St George for a sunset?

Thank you very much for the suggestion!

Not sure if we'll be able to get to that dining place at the golf club, seems like it's for members only or you have to be a guest of a member, the other place - Fio Culinary Adventure is booked for tomorrow.

Probably we'll try to get a nice view from Red Hill Parkway and then will stop by some restaurant (will read the reviews on St. George restaurants now)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
3. Re: Good spot in St George for a sunset?

Sorry about the Inn at entrada info, i forgot you have to be a member to eat there.

If you will give a budget and what kind of food you are interested in perhaps i can give you some suggestions. Do you also need help finding somewhere to stay?

Also, here are some good threads with things to do ect in the St George area, as there is alot to do in the Area.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g57119-i1379-k5095…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g57119-i1379-k5644…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g57119-i1379-k5690…

Edited: 12:06 am, August 30, 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
4. Re: Good spot in St George for a sunset?

About 15 min Northwest of St George in Ivins, Utah, there is also a good spot for watching the sunset near the entrance to Snow Canyon. You can take the Red Cliffs road all the way over to Ivins and to the Turn that goes up to Snow Canyon.

Seattle, Washington
5. Re: Good spot in St George for a sunset?

Thanks, budget is not an issue as long as food is good and experience is memorable :), but I'd probably wouldn't go to a place with formal dress code, because we'll be in the beginning of outdoor vacation, so we won't have fancy clothes :)

We'll be staying at the Claridge Inn and we'll need to leave early next morning to Coral Pink Sand Dunes (have tour booked at 9:30 am), so unfortunately not that much time to explorer St.George, but maybe enough to make the first impression.

Cuisine wise we like seafood, contemporary, south western fusion, european, during previous trips we liked Elote in Sedona, Cottage Place in Flagstaff, and we liked Bit and Spur in Zion, but anything with nice atmosphere and good quality food would work.

Thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
6. Re: Good spot in St George for a sunset?

The area for the Hotel is ok, but their rating is not that good. Im not familiar with that Hotel. Im assuming you are too late to switch, however, if possible you can switch to the Best Western Abby Inn which is very nice clean Hotel basically just North of the Claridge Inn.

Alot of the places to eat though in that area are mostly off the freeway type of places so not that great. With the exception of the Black Bear DIner which has good breakfast and is close to both Hotels. Or the Bear Paw Cafe which is very busy, reservations would be needed for breakfast.

For Dinner,

The Painted Pony is a nicer restaurant just North of that area on St George blvd., its a popular restaurant, so its a good idea to make a reservation.

http://www.painted-pony.com/

There is also the Anasazie steak house which i have heard is also a nicer place to eat.

http://www.anasazisteakhouse.com/

Edited: 12:51 am, August 30, 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
7. Re: Good spot in St George for a sunset?

I should say, i dont know if you can make reservations at the Bear Paw Cafe or not, but, there are a small Cafe and always very busy.

Edited: 12:57 am, August 30, 2012
Seattle, Washington
8. Re: Good spot in St George for a sunset?

Thanks! After reading reviews I just made a reservation for Painted Pony.

I don't think we can change hotel at that point, but travelers reviews were not so bad (like 4.1 on expedia) although it's 2 star hotel. I think we'll be fine. Thank you very much again for the suggestions! :)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
9. Re: Good spot in St George for a sunset?

Your welcome. Im sure you will like the Painted Pony, I hope you have a nice time in St George!

10. Re: Good spot in St George for a sunset?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 03, 2013