We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation within a vacation

Which St. George hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Vacation within a vacation

Hi all! Just like "One Day in St. George," my husband and I will be visiting for just a few hours, though we'll be there in mid-December. We're from Hawaii and will actually be in Las Vegas for a week but we're excited to take a drive into Utah. Can you suggest some sightseeing we might do? Will there be snow during this time? We;re interested in the beautiful scenery Utah is known for. Thanks!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
1. Re: Vacation within a vacation

You'll find many places around Las Vegas worth visiting. Red Rock, Valley of Fire SP, Lake Mead, Hoover Dam etc.

Zion NP is a 3 hours drive from Las Vegas and Death Valley (Furnace Creek) is 2.5 hours. You can make daytrips to them if you start from Las Vegas very early but best is to stay overnight in Zion and Death Valley.

Tet

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 88
2. Re: Vacation within a vacation

Welcome to the Forums Lana G

Why are you in St George just for a few Hours? are you on your way somewhere else in your trip?

There are plenty of nice places to visit in and near St George. Weather in Dec is usually ok, the area around St George does not usually get snow except perhaps some in the higher elevations around St George.

Heres a list of things to do in the St George area along with a good thread on the subject.

http://www.utah.com/stgeorge/

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g57119-i1379-k5644…

With only a few hours, you may want to just take a drive through Snow Canyon and stop there. Or you can visit the historical landmarks and homes in the area. My favorite being the Brigham Young Home which has some very beautiful period rooms. And perhaps the St George LDS Tabernacle.

However, we can know what you may like to do, can you give us more info?

Ewa Beach, Hawaii
3. Re: Vacation within a vacation

Thanks for the info. My husband and I are finally taking our honeymoon vacation after 15 yrs and four sons, 14, 13, 11 & 10. We've been to Vegas, Texas, California, New Mexico & Arizona as a family but this time we're going it alone. Born and raised in Hawaii I'm awestruck by the beautiful scenery that America has to offer - so different than what I'm used to. We'll be in St. George for just a few hours as we're all set in Vegas for the week, but we really wanted to take this opportunity (no are-we-there-yet's) to see what at least some of what beauty Utah has to offer (also to visit a new state). We're not really hikers, bikers or horseback riders (too hard on the bones!), but we love to see history and marvel at landscapes that are just non-existent in Hawaii. Take in a sunset, eat some local grinds, drive, drive, drive! We're pretty much laid back and in no real rush, didn't plan on staying overnight but not out of the question. Just going to enjoy some time together and TRY not to worry about the boys!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
4. Re: Vacation within a vacation

Zion National Park is usually a dont miss place to visit since its only about 1 hour from St George. However, you may have some not as good weather during that time period.

You can also as said stick closer to Las Vegas, Valley of Fire has some stunning scenery there and is just about a 45 min drive outside of Las Vegas.

If you would like some suggestions of where to eat ect. you can tell us what kind of food you like, price you may want to spend, ect.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
5. Re: Vacation within a vacation

St. George is a good place to spend time and we actually did doing the things Happytotrip mentioned but for breathtaking scenery you'll have to go to the NP's and SP's imo. Death Valley NP also is fantastic and very different to Zion.

Ewa Beach, Hawaii
6. Re: Vacation within a vacation

Valley of Fire sounds intriguing, will definitely look into it. We love to watch different food programs, i.e. Diners, Drive-ins & Dives, showcasing local favorite spots We'll be dining @ Gordon Ramsay Steak & Delmonico's in Vegas, that'll take care of the fine dining, which leaves practically nothing for the rest of our meals. So we'd love to visit eateries that are affordable but delicious. Also any specialty food places such as a bakery, ice cream parlour, etc.; the fun stuff. .

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
7. Re: Vacation within a vacation

There not that many specific local restaurants that are not a chain of some sort.

Many of the Restaurants that are good are usually crowded and harder to get into especially if you came on weekends which are very busy at any Restaurant in St George usually. I would suggest if you are visiting on a weekend, eating at more off hours such as 4pm. for dinner ect.

The Black Bear diner has very good food and good breakfast, huge Pancakes as well. The Egg and i also has good breakfast.

The Pizza Factory on Sunset Blvd a little outside of Downtown St George is very good, its a small place but has very good pasta where you can choose your own toppings, and very good Breadsticks they make themselves as well as good pizza.

.Nielsens Frozen Custard is said to have good Ice Cream, i have not been there yet.

Kneaders Bakery and Cafe is also good to eat at for sandwiches, soup, and has good breads, and make all kinds of very good desserts, such as chocolate Eclairs ect ect.

Frankley, i really like the local Taco Time. They have some good burritos, tacos and empanadas. It does not taste like regular fast food, you can tell the owners use some good fresh ingredients and have some skill in cooking

Alot of people also seem to like the Cafe Rio Mexican Grill, but i have not seen any difference between that one and the one where i live which is an ok place to eat.

Edited: 4:32 pm, August 22, 2012
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
8. Re: Vacation within a vacation

All good suggestions, I'm sure. We will defiinitely hit or check out most of the spots you listed. Thank you so much for your time and suggestions, there's one less thing I have to plan! We will be heading out of Vegas early (will probably wait till the weekend for the reasons you noted). So glad I stumbled onto this site!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
9. Re: Vacation within a vacation

If you start early enough try the have breakfast at Bear Paw Cafe in St. George.

10. Re: Vacation within a vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 26, 2013