We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day in St George

Which St. George hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Cruz...
reviews: 52
one day in St George

Hi, We'll be visiting St George in August. We are planning a Zion trip over the weekend but I have one day where my son and I will be in St George from about 8-3 and are looking for some suggestions on fun things to do with a 10 year old boy.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 134
1. Re: one day in St George

Use the day for a trip up to Bryce Canyon NP

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 85
2. Re: one day in St George

Part of the problem is August is usually hot in St George. Not sure what your son would enjoy doing?

There is actually plenty though to do in St George and the area there. However, in August i might suggest you take a drive up to Pine Valley which is a fun place to visit and would be much cooler temps. Its located about a 45 min drive North of St George. They have large pine trees and a nice resevoir there you can fish in. And a nice trail called Whipple trail you can walk up that has a small creek running back and forth through it with lots of small fish ect in the creek. Usually you can see deer near the Trailhead or on the Trail at some point.

Or, if you want to stay in St George, you can visit somewhere in the ealier morning hours like Snow Canyon. Theres also a good dinosaur museum that would be fun to visit. There are also some nice biking trails. they also have a good outdoor Amphitheatre that has live plays and entertainment.

Heres a good list of things to do in the area

http://www.utah.com/stgeorge/

Edited: 10:54 pm, August 02, 2012
Santa Cruz...
reviews: 52
3. Re: one day in St George

Hi thanks! My son likes anything water related. We are from Northern California and spend a great deal of time at the beach, camping, lakes etc. so something like that would be good. I also looked up water parks (thinking that might be fun if it's super hot) but only 1 came up and it looks kinda cheesy.

I saw a few ghost towns near by but I wonder if there is anything besides a few buildings to see? That might be fun for us if there are any activities such as buying sarsaparilla or something like that?

Is the downtown area interesting enough for us to spend all day wondering around?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 85
4. Re: one day in St George

There is a quite nice place to swim at the Sand Hollow Aquatic Center in a large indoor pools with a fun slide area.

www.sgcity.org/recreation/facilities/shac.php

There is also an urban fishing pond which is quite fun and usually not crowded.

sgcity.org/recreation/…fishing_ponds.php

Im not really aware of any ghost towns nearby St George anyway. Parts of St George are quite spread out, for shopping ect. The downtown area is quite small and not that exciting for walking around in unless there is something going on there during your visit.

Heres the August Calendar for what going on in St George.

http://calendar.utahstgeorge.com/

There are also quite a few Historic Homes you can visit, but i dont know if a 10 year old would find that interesting.

They would most likely like the Dinosaur discovery site though its quite interesting.

http://www.utah.com/stgeorge/johnson_farm.htm

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 117
5. Re: one day in St George

We always found some time at the Fiesta Fun center. Though that new Aquatic center looks good too.

Silver Reef and Grafton could both be considered ghost towns close to St George, and they are cool for a quick visit. And yah, not much but a few old buildings.

Snow canyon if you are early.

And the dinosaur museum.

Jacob Hamblin home in Santa Clara is my personal favorite of old homes there.

The water feature in the Pioneer Square park might be fun. Though I think it was mostly younger kids having the most fun there.

Edited: 1:28 am, August 03, 2012
6. Re: one day in St George

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 21, 2013