We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

st. george or springdale?

Which St. George hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sudbury, ma
7 posts
st. george or springdale?

I am planning a very last minute trip with my husband and 2 daughters (10 and 12) to the south Utah area in 2 weeks. Primarily want to see Zion, Bryce and possibly north rim GC. We love hiking, biking and all that nature has to offer, but I gotta be honest - i would enjoy a beautiful resort with a great spa as well. I could book the Inn at Entrada and use that as our base for day tripping to Zion, Bryce and north rim, or I could book Cable Mountain Lodge right in Springdale. I know that Entrada in St. George would add some travel time for us. Just want to hear if anybody has successfully day tripped to the above locations from St. George, or am I asking for a big headache in exchange for the beautiful resort ammenities at Entrada. Much thanks for your thoughts!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
14,849 posts
132 reviews
1. Re: st. george or springdale?

If you want a great spa vacation with a side of national parks then the Inn at Entrada would be fine. You'll want to spend most of your time at the spa. You can get great day trips to Snow Canyon, enjoy Tuacahn theater. It would be a nice vacation. But you won't see much of the parks.

It will be a one hour drive to Zion and back, I've done it, and know it can be done, but it has never been all about Zion when we do that . And there is no way you could stay there and get a quality visit to either Grand Canyon or Bryce.

If you want a national park vacation with a nicer location to stay in order to see Zion then you need to be in Springdale, Cable Mt Lodge is great. But even that would not be a good place to see Bryce or Grand Canyon they are too far away for a day trip from anywhere.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
2,830 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: st. george or springdale?

I don't think you're asking for a big headache.

You're asking for a long extended drive in exchange for maximizing time in the National Parks.

It's a matter of priority: National Park time vs. beautiful resort amenities.

How do the husband and daughters vote?

sudbury, ma
7 posts
3. Re: st. george or springdale?

Thanks for the 2 replies above. We really want to see the parks, so perhaps the best solution is to go with Cable Mountain in Springdale, and to book a massage etc. at Flanagan's (they did not have room availability). I know the drive to Bryce or north rim from Springdale is not ideal...

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
386 reviews
4. Re: st. george or springdale?

If the parks are the priority, then I would move your lodging as needed to be closer to each park. As mentioned, you will a lot of time in the car rather than in the parks, plus you will miss some of the best times at Bryce Canyon, sunrise, sunset and the starry night sky. I reckon it just depends on how much time you have and how you wish to spend it.

Of course, getting the lodging on very short notice could be an issue, particularly at the Grand Canyon, so using Springdale as your base may be yor only option. If that is the case, so be it. You will still have a wonderful time.

Edited: 6:32 am, July 26, 2012
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
281 reviews
5. Re: st. george or springdale?

Did you also consider Desert Pearl in Springdale?

6. Re: st. george or springdale?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, July 28, 2013