We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with airport selection, fly to SGU or LAS?

Which St. George hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 27
Need help with airport selection, fly to SGU or LAS?

Hello I am planning on a spa vacation to Red Mountain Resort for a week for R&R but can't decide which airport to fly into. Is it better to fly into SGU or LAS? The fair price is about the same. I know SGU is closer but the flight connections are not that great but I would prefer to fly into SGU if the flights are reliable. I would appreciate feedback on SGU airport from someone who has taken flight to/from there. Also how is the drive from LAS to St George? Thanks

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 106
1. Re: Need help with airport selection, fly to SGU or LAS?

The new airport in St George is pretty unknown at this point. But this isn't a third world country. The flights should be as reliable as anywhere else.

The drive up from LV takes about 2 hrs. It is all interstate, all uphill, and the last part of the drive through the Virgin River Gorge (the AZ section of the road) is starkly beautiful and drives me crazy trying to keep up with everyone going full bore around all those curves.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
2. Re: Need help with airport selection, fly to SGU or LAS?

That's why it's only 55 mph there Kbec....

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 106
3. Re: Need help with airport selection, fly to SGU or LAS?

55???

Who's driving that? You have to go 65 not to be run over.

Edited: 1:17 am, October 05, 2011
Chicagoland
4. Re: Need help with airport selection, fly to SGU or LAS?

I had the same dilemma. We decided on St. George. We will save 30-45 minutes at the airport alone. Shorter distance to baggage claim & faster. Smaller plane, less baggage. The same should apply to the vehicle rental. Also much quicker check in on departure. I'm looking forward to enjoying our vacation within minutes of arrival. And not having to drive a great distance and worry about all the logistics involved when leaving. No need to end a vacation with undo stress. Just my opinion. We got lucky with our flight schedule. Delta gets us in to St. George around 1:00 pm. All of the Vegas options had us arriving in St. George in the late afternoon/early evening, at best. Very short layover in Salt Lake.

Cedar City, UT
reviews: 112
5. Re: Need help with airport selection, fly to SGU or LAS?

The newly opened St. George airport is supposed to be quite larger & nicer than the old one although I haven't used it myself. It's quicker and cheaper for me ( I live an hr. north of St. G) to use the LV airport for all cross country travel rather than flights that route through SLC.

If your price is basically the same as flying into LV then St. G. is by far your best option for convenience and time.

With that said, as previously posted here, the drive from LV to St. G. is easy and beautiful, particularly the gap through the Virgin River canyon, between Mesquite and St. G., with the exception of the leg from the LV airport to the city limits, which is a manic road race. LV drivers are not accommodating. "Get out of the way or get run over" seems to be the rule of the road.

There are also two shuttle companies offering service between the LV airport & Red Mtn. Spa;

St. George Excecutive shuttle is $100, per. person, round trip. The St. George Express is $88 per person, round trip, so you have options, but have no fears of flying into St. George. We've lived in this area over 6 yrs. and have never heard of an accident or problems. Many celebrities and well heeled folks use that airport for the spas.

Boston...
reviews: 27
6. Re: Need help with airport selection, fly to SGU or LAS?

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I decided to fly to SGU because the fair was about the same with better connections and I don't have to bother with a rental car and the long car ride. I will post my trip report after my stay.

SteveSGU
reviews: 3
7. Re: Need help with airport selection, fly to SGU or LAS?

Fortunately, prices for flights to and from the SGU airport seem to be coming down to reasonable levels. You can now fly to St. George from Phoenix for less than $100 one-way and from Denver for $130. But of course all flights to SGU must go through either SLC or LAX.

8. Re: Need help with airport selection, fly to SGU or LAS?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 24, 2013