We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park City Information

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster...
reviews: 1
Park City Information

Hi,

I'm going to be in Park City at the end of September. I've never been to the area and will be there for 5 days. I've read up on things to do in the immediate park city area, but what I'm wondering is if there are any don't miss destinations that would be about an hour or so away. Like cute towns, state or national parks, that kind of thing.

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
1. Re: Park City Information

Greetings and welcome out west. All of the national parks are about 4 hours away, so they wouldn't make a lot of sense to visit. A nearby state park is Wasatch State Park outside of Midway. You could do a drive there, in conjunction with a loop of the Provo River to Bridal Veil Falls and then around the backside of Mt. Timpanogos past Sundance Resort and then the cutoff to Cascade Springs.

There is the Mirror Lake Highway in the Uintas and you could check out the small town of Kamas.

Also driving over Guardsmen Pass can give you access into Big Cottonwood Canyon for a nice stroll around the boardwalk at Silver Lake and a beer and burger at Silver Fork Lodge's deck.

About 1.5 hours away is Antelope Island on the Great Salt Lake, where there are herds of buffalo, antelope, deer, and you might see an occasional coyote or owl.

Lancaster...
2. Re: Park City Information

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

What would you recommend as the most scenic/interesting route from Salt Lake City airport over to Park City?

Also, are the towns of Provo, Orem, and Heber City worth a stop?

Thanks.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
3. Re: Park City Information

The quickest way is through Parley's Canyon, on I-80. For a nice drive, but maybe double the amount of time, go through Big Cottonwood Canyon, over Guardsmen Pass, and down into Deer Valley and eventually Park City.

I wouldn't make a special trip to Provo or Orem unless you had something specific you want to see there. Salt Lake has much more to do, see, dining, museums, etc. Provo Canyon is nice though and you'll be in the area around the time that fall leaves will be changing. Definitely worth a drive around the Alpine Loop on the backside of Mt. Timpanogos. Depending on when the leaves peak, the views are gorgeous.

Heber is a small town not too far from PC. I wouldn't make a special trip to go there, but if you're in the area you could check some things out, most notably the Heber Valley Train ride and the Homestead with accompanying creator and subterranean springs made famous in the movie 127 Hours.

Edited: 3:05 pm, May 28, 2014
Lancaster...
4. Re: Park City Information

Thanks! Any other recommendations for out-of-the way places that shouldn't be missed for a bite to eat when traveling through the mountains? I noted your recommendation for silver fork lodge. Any others?

Thanks.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
5. Re: Park City Information

This is a list of some places to eat at Sundance if you do the Alpine Loop.

www.sundanceresort.com/dine/onsite.html

Midway is known for a Mexican restaurant called Tarahumara with a great salsa bar.

I don't really know about Kamas.

Park City has tons of excellent options like the J&G Grill at St Regis to the High West Distillery, Utah's only distillery which also happens to serve amazing food.

www.visitparkcity.com/visitors/restaurants/

Edited: 4:29 pm, May 28, 2014
Newport Beach, CA
reviews: 47
6. Re: Park City Information

I think you would enjoy driving over to Sundance, which will take you through Heber. I love to either hike or take a horseback ride up to Stewart Falls and then have lunch at the resort. September is a lovely time to visit, and the trees will be starting to change color, probably. Meals at Sundance are delicious.

Lancaster...
7. Re: Park City Information

Thanks...sounds like a great idea. I was actually thinking about doing a horseback ride and couldn't decide which one to do.

Park City, Utah
8. Re: Park City Information

Driving to Sundance Resort through Midway, Utah is a great day trip. This is a gorgeous time of year and the leaves are simply beautiful.

If you are planning on going to Sundance I would suggest driving the back way through the Alpine Loop behind Soldier Hollow golf course.

If you are interested in a fun break out of the car you may be interested in taking a Paddle Boarding tour, of Deer Creek Reservoir or Jordanelle Reservoir. You would want to give Park City Paddle Co a call at 435-565-1620 www.pcsup.co It's still rather warm out, very relaxing, little boating activity on these bodies of water and you can even explore ghost towns that are long gone below the reservoirs. Very unique!

Mirror Lake Highway is another great scenic drive, you can SUP on numerous mountain lakes up there as well.

Enjoy!

Reply to: Park City Information
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted