We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moose sighting?

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Apollo Beach...
reviews: 39
Moose sighting?

Visiting in late August. Any tips on where I might go to see a Moose? No, not the kind at WalMart. :-)

Staying in upper Deer Valley. I've heard they sometimes just walk down from the mountains?

19 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
1. Re: Moose sighting?

I've seen moose in the willows while riding chairlifts at the ski resorts and I saw moose droppings on the Rail Trail just a few days ago, so they are around. They are wild animals though, so no guaranteed places to see them. In August they will likely be up higher. Might want to try the Uintas or Albion Basin.

Apollo Beach...
2. Re: Moose sighting?

Thanks for the tips! We'll be on the look out!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 222
3. Re: Moose sighting?

Hard to pinpoint and you almost would have to happen upon one. Some areas that are easily accessed and occasionally have moose are Parley's Park and upper Jeremy Ranch (west) off I-80 in Parley's Summit. A very good location to check for a short hike is Silver Lake at Brighton. We hike that with guests about 6-8 times each summer and probably see moose once or twice each year. Albion Basin at Alta is another decent spot.

My advice is to enjoy what's here and hope you see one. Don't make it a mission - you'll burn a lot of time.

Have fun.

USA
reviews: 6
4. Re: Moose sighting?

The hike to Mt. Timpanogos from the Timpooneke trailhead is also a good place, although you can't guarantee it. It will be a beautiful hike regardless.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
5. Re: Moose sighting?

Just an update as you prepare for your trip. I've been over to Albion Basin at Alta a few times this week and have seen moose each time. There's been two (or more) on the downhill side of the Albion Basin Road between the base area and the Catherine's Pass Trailhead. This image was taken maybe 200 meters downhill from the Catherine's Pass parking lot.

https://flic.kr/p/obX2on

The other location that's been good is near Dog Lake, which is a short spur off the trail up to Lake Mary at Brighton. Haven't been on that trail this summer but have seen moose there several times in the past. If you're staying in upper Deer Valley, you can just shoot over Guardsman Pass to the Silver Lake trail and Lake Mary trails - all right in the Brighton Ski Area parking lot.

Good luck.

Apollo Beach...
6. Re: Moose sighting?

Thanks! We'll be there in 29 days so I'm hoping they stay put! LOL Really appreciate you keeping me in the loop!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
7. Re: Moose sighting?

Love it when people count down the days until their visits to Park City!

Have fun. It's been a nice summer.

North Carolina
reviews: 320
8. Re: Moose sighting?

I will be there in five days! Very excited about the hiking and the Kimball Arts Festival and all the great opportunities for fun!

Apollo Beach...
9. Re: Moose sighting?

Only thing 2ndary to the Moose Sightings is the link I found for the Park Record Dining coupons! Saved a bunch in past visits to some great places! parkrecordonline.com/restaurants/…

We're also going to check out one of the Deer Valley Concerts on the lawn while we're there. We don't do "outdoor" events in Florida this time of year. Too hot and steamy!

Salt Lake City, Utah
10. Re: Moose sighting?

We saw two moose just yesterday at Silver Lake up Big Cottonwood Canyon. We seem to always see them there. This moose happened to get right onto the boardwalk and started heading our way. We had to back up to make room for her. Kids loved it as well as our out of state guests. We've also had luck in the Albion Basin and Donut Falls hike,

Reply to: Moose sighting?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted