We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backcountry guides/ hiking for Wasatch or UINTA - recommenda

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 207
Backcountry guides/ hiking for Wasatch or UINTA - recommenda

My husband and son (16 yrs) plan a 2-3 night backcountry hike in the Wasatch/ Uinta mountains (staying for a few nights in PC and a few overnight hiking) Also I have tried to find any guides I seem to find only day-tours. Any recommendations?

7 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
reviews: 3
1. Re: Backcountry guides/ hiking for Wasatch or UINTA - recommenda

Wasatch Adventure Guides is a local Park City outdoor adventure company that provides various guided services. I'm not sure about overnight trips, but you could certainly contact them as we know them to be flexible. Here's a link to their website. visitparkcity.com/listings/…

You would want to contact the Forest Service office for additional information about backcountry hiking.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/uwcnf

Let us know if we can help with anything else.

Park City Chamber/Bureau

Salt Lake City, UT
reviews: 8
2. Re: Backcountry guides/ hiking for Wasatch or UINTA - recommenda

I have no ideas about guides, but do note that the Wasatch range and the Uinta range are two different mountain ranges, quite different in character. For overnight backpacking trips, the Uintas are the preferable option.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 205
3. Re: Backcountry guides/ hiking for Wasatch or UINTA - recommenda

Just to add some clarity to the great information so far. The Uinta - Wasatch - Cache National Forest covers a wide range of territory. Within that national forest, as noted, the Uinta's are the best overnight backpacking destination. But it's all served now under one national forest management with district offices for various areas within the national forest. The Uinta's where you want to backpack would be about a 45-60 minute drive from Park City.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 117
4. Re: Backcountry guides/ hiking for Wasatch or UINTA - recommenda

Guides for the Uintas? Hummm. I guess that would be a good way to go, I just have never heard of that. I have wished I could take a horse pack in there sometimes, it would sure be easier. You'd think there would be a supplier somewhere who would do that, but I didn't find any when I was looking. But it has been a few years ago, maybe there is someone now.

Park City, Utah
reviews: 1
5. Re: Backcountry guides/ hiking for Wasatch or UINTA - recommenda

I don't know of any overnight guided tours of the unita/wasatch mountains. But there are TONS of awesome campsites in the The Uinta - Wasatch - Cache National Forest. The area is well-marked with a large variety of hikes, from short to long, easy to hard. The area is massive, so it doesn't take long before you're off the beaten track (most hikers stay within 1 mi. of the major trailheads) If your husband and son are fairly competent campers, then they will be fine finding a great, secluded spot on their own to enjoy. Just make sure that you register their campsite with the visitors station--just to be safe.

Salt Lake City, UT
reviews: 8
6. Re: Backcountry guides/ hiking for Wasatch or UINTA - recommenda

A bit of a tangent, but tying in a bit with another post above...don't get confused by the national forest names. On current maps, you do see the combination of the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache NF, but signage on the ground is far less likely to be updated, particularly regarding the inclusion of the Uinta NF.

As examples of the confusion...the former Wasatch NF includes other ranges besides the Wasatch, but not all of the Wasatch Range was included in the Wasatch NF. And the Uinta Range was split between two NF's, neither of which was the Uinta NF.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 117
7. Re: Backcountry guides/ hiking for Wasatch or UINTA - recommenda

If you want to back pack into the Uintas and can't find a guide the best thing to do would be to buy a map or book with trails listed. I have several, but they are old and I doubt still in print. I just pick mine up at REI.

Look for a guide to the Western Uintas.

A couple hikes you might enjoy include into Island Lake, or Naturalist basin.

And while it is not a back packing hike Mt timpanogoes is a great hike with a great view.

Edited: 1:46 pm, April 25, 2014
Reply to: Backcountry guides/ hiking for Wasatch or UINTA - recommenda
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted