We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help?! First trip to Park city in end of 2014/2015

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baton Rouge
reviews: 12
Help?! First trip to Park city in end of 2014/2015

Thinking of coming to Park city either the end of year 2014 or beginning of 2015. Any suggestions? Is New years a good time to come to ski or better to come late January. It will be me and my husbands first trip there and want to stay somewhere we can just walk with skis to hit slopes and still close to resturants and town. Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
1. Re: Help?! First trip to Park city in end of 2014/2015

Greetings and welcome out west.

NYE is a fun time to be in town. Very festive with annual events like the Torchlight Parades, fireworks, concerts, etc. Keep in mind the snow conditions will be early season and it's possible that not all trails will be open. That is not only Park City, but really every resort in North America. Every year is different and some years produce more snow than others, but there will be plenty of skiable terrain. If you like beginning to intermediate groomers, you'll be fine.

If you want the likelihood of a fuller snowpack for off-piste skiing and smaller crowds and likely cheaper accommodation rates, then the end of January would be your bet. Keep in mind the Sundance Film Festival takes place on mid-January, so take that into consideration too.

For hotels close to Main Street and Town Lift to access PCMR look into Marriott Summit Watch, Sky Lodge, and The Caledonian. You would also have easy access to the Transit Center for the free shuttles to Canyons and Deer Valley.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 208
2. Re: Help?! First trip to Park city in end of 2014/2015

Good advice so far. January would definitely be better for snow conditions, crowds and cost. But both times would be good. In addition the noted lodging in the heart of historic Main Street, if you want to stay right at the resorts look at Marriott Mountainside or Silver Star at Park City Mountain Resort, Grand Summit at Canyons and Goldener Hirsch, Stein Eriksen Lodge, Black Diamond, St. Regis at Deer Valley.

Have fun.

Newport Beach, CA
reviews: 47
3. Re: Help?! First trip to Park city in end of 2014/2015

Hi - all the above comments are spot on. In 2015, the Sundance Film Festival dates are Jan. 22-Feb. 1. Sundance is both a plus and a minus. The minus is that hotel and other lodging rates are at a premium. The plus is that the skiing isn't negatively impacted by the film festival. Restaurant reservations are tricky, but possible, to get. I always have a lot of fun during Sundance, as the town is as lively as possible, but it's also congested and that can rattle some people.

The Christmas/New Year's vibe at Park City is so special. The only downside is the possibility of some slope closures. If you're a beginner or intermediate skier, that isn't likely to impact you much, as the resorts usually work to get those areas opened first.

4. Re: Help?! First trip to Park city in end of 2014/2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 pm, April 21, 2014

Plantation Florida
reviews: 105
5. Re: Help?! First trip to Park city in end of 2014/2015

December/January is colder, windy, that's when the resorts are getting dumped on (hopefully). February and early March are prime time, that's the best conditions. Late March has warmer temperatures, with the snow melting in the afternoon. This isn't a problem if you ski early in the morning and understand some areas in the sun turn to slush.

I've been to Park City in early December, it was 10 degrees out, but I got a great rate at the hotel. I also went to Vermont in December and it was -10, very cold. They can make snow on the greens and blues like others have said. In March the temps were 50 in the afternoon, much different. I stayed in SLC and it was even warmer, barely needed my jacket.

The parking situation is good at all the resorts. Staying slopeside is nice, but not completely necessary because there's 3 great resorts right there, In fact, at Park City, you can park your car at the bottom of the first time lift, and you're steps from the snow. Renting a car is nice, because then you won't have to wait for a shuttle.

In your case, I'd come mid January before the festival depending on hotel deals and flight costs.

Reply to: Help?! First trip to Park city in end of 2014/2015
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted