We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will snow still be good on closing weekend?

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Will snow still be good on closing weekend?

We planed a trip to slc on 4/20 weekend. Prefer park city because of wide hotel choices, but it's closing on that weekend, so i'm wondering if it's still able to ski at that time, or i should stay at snowbird which is closing in May?

Thank you.

8 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 205
1. Re: Will snow still be good on closing weekend?

Either way, it's late spring skiing so conditions will be variable and a lot dependent on weather at the time. The April 20 opening is based on Easter and it's a week later than normal. Park City is quite a bit lower but you won't likely find a dramatic difference in skiing. In either case, you'll need to pick your ski times and elevations carefully. I've been out the last three days here in Park City and skiing is still quite good and snow cover is just fine.

You'll have a good time either way, but just know it's spring skiing so come with an open mind.

Have fun.

Plantation Florida
reviews: 100
2. Re: Will snow still be good on closing weekend?

Which ever resort you pick, go early in the morning. Conditions are fine, then it warms up around noon and the lower areas turn to slush. The locals know how to ski in it, but it can be slippery for a first timer in those conditions.

I was just at Snowbird on Thursday, they got dumped on, and there's more snow on the way. The next day was sunny, visited the Canyons and it was great. Yesterday I visited Deer Valley and it was also sunny. Most runs were groomed, and conditions were great in the morning. Around noon some areas turned to slush, the snow had a yellowish/brown color to it. If you ski in the shade, those areas are still good.

If you're renting, make sure you get wide skis. The default Rossigols they rent are narrow. Ask for Rossignol Phantom 80 or similar.

Los Angeles...
3. Re: Will snow still be good on closing weekend?

Great! Thank you for your responses. Start searching for hotel deals in Park city. :-D

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 205
4. Re: Will snow still be good on closing weekend?

You should find lots of hotel deals. In particular, Canyons will be closed so I imagine prices at the hotels there will be especially good.

Park City, Utah
reviews: 3
5. Re: Will snow still be good on closing weekend?

With 17" in the last 7 days, should be great spring skiing. More snow predicted this week as well. You can track the snow and weather on this link. www.visitparkcity.com/visitors/weather/

Salt Lake City, UT
reviews: 8
6. Re: Will snow still be good on closing weekend?

Just a note regarding the previous post (hopefully nixed as being a commercial solicitation). I appreciate the optimism, but it is absurd to draw conclusions on how ski conditions (and the numbers are indeed great now) will be 3 weeks from now based on the current weather. There will be ample base, but it's too soon to predict surface conditions, which are highly variable in the spring.

Los Angeles...
7. Re: Will snow still be good on closing weekend?

Thank you for the heads up, well noted and will pay close attention to the weather change.

Plantation Florida
reviews: 100
8. Re: Will snow still be good on closing weekend?

With an ample base, I would say there will be snow. The thing you need to check, is how fast it will turn to slush. Like I said, the locals know how to ski in it. Most runs will be groomed, and the morning conditions will be good because it's usually cold in the morning.

It's funny, because the Canyons has signs up around the resort saying they only groom runs every 3 days. They claim that grooming heats up the snow, taking away the light fluffy feel of it. I could actually see a difference between the Canyons and Deer Valley. At Deer Valley, most runs were groomed, and I didn't mind if it was a harder feel. I'd say at this point (last 2 weeks), they have to groom (except the blacks). Depends on your skill level and what you like to ski. If you like groomers, you'll probably have 3 hours in the morning of good conditions, unless it's 50 degrees out. When I was there, the morning temps were near freezing, then rose up to 50.

Be there early, 1st in line, and you'll have a couple hours of good conditions, plus you'll have the entire mountain to yourself for a few runs if you go to the side lifts.

Edited: 3:59 pm, April 02, 2014
Reply to: Will snow still be good on closing weekend?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted