We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family vacation to Park City. First visit, beginner skiers

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
south orange...
reviews: 6
Family vacation to Park City. First visit, beginner skiers

Hi There,

We are planning our first visit to Park City over Spring Break. We got a terrific deal at Marriot Mountainside for our family of four (2 boys, ages 12 and 7) and plan on staying 4 nights. We will be flying into Salt Lake and renting a car. Any thoughts on this resort?

We are all beginner skiers and I need to know if this trip will work for us--skiing level, location of resort--i.e proximity to shops/restaurants, resort amenities for kids, etc. Because of our budget I am hoping that we can make use of the kitchen amenities for our meals and, occasionally, go out for dinner.

Can you recommend ski rental places nearby that can offer good deal on multi-day ski package. Also, how can we save $ on ski passes? Our budget might only allow a couple days of skiing. Any recommendations for family activities and sights to see the other 2 days--dog sledding, Olympic Park?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

7 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 40
1. Re: Family vacation to Park City. First visit, beginner skiers

go to the park city tourist website. http://www.visitparkcity.com/ It has info on rentals, tix, etc. I would suggest renting right at the mountains since you are staying mountainside anyway. You can get discount tix on line at liftopia as well. There are also some lift ticket deals if you follow the links on the lodging website. Look like the same deals as on liftopia and PC website. You will have a great time at this location.

Park City, Utah
reviews: 1
2. Re: Family vacation to Park City. First visit, beginner skiers

A local concierge company called Cooper's Cabin offers a lot of special hookups for the area ski resorts. Might be worth investigating.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 205
3. Re: Family vacation to Park City. First visit, beginner skiers

Marriott Mountainside is great, located two minutes from main lift. Great pool. Do note that it's not a full service hotel, but there are many restaurants in walking distance in the resort plaza. Second on liftopia.com as a source for discounts. But also note that you're coming at peak time so don't expect too much.

You really don't need a car. Compare shuttle prices (All Resort) to renting a car. Might be a wash with a family of four. But just know that you can easily get by on free local bus.

Have fun.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 18
4. Re: Family vacation to Park City. First visit, beginner skiers

Not sure if Costco has discount ticket this year, but you might try? Ski-n-see downtown Salt Lake on the way to PC also sells discount tickets. Might try White Dog Ski rental to see if cheaper but its not at PCMR will have to drive. easy to compare on-line.

Other stuff; bowling at Jupiter Bowl, Snow Coaster at PCMR (kind of pricey), Tubing (better at Midway, then Kimbell Junction), Train Ride, Homestead Crater, Snowmobiling (Thousand Peaks far but nice), Olympic Park, ice skating (PCMR & local indoor rink), swimming. that should keep any kids busy on off days.

CT
reviews: 53
5. Re: Family vacation to Park City. First visit, beginner skiers

We always stop at Costco on our way to PC after leaving airport. We pick up food for our stay and lift tickets. If you call they can tell you how much they are this year. In the past, they were an even better deal than Liftopia.

south orange...
reviews: 6
6. Re: Family vacation to Park City. First visit, beginner skiers

Thank you for the advice! So happy there's a Costco!

Roswell, Georgia
reviews: 24
7. Re: Family vacation to Park City. First visit, beginner skiers

We did this exact trip last year and it was my boys first time skiing. We stayed at the Marriott Mountainside and loved it!! We also had groceries delivered the day of our arrival via the Grocery Girls and they were awesome with just a small upcharge. I was a hero when we arrived at our hotel @ 8pm and had a stocked fridge and food for dinner without having to go out again. We were also able to have breakfast in our room everyday with awesome views of the mountain. Between skiing, hot tub/pool and back to the room, my boys were wiped out each evening. We took a day off and did tubing nearby and that was a lot of fun. I also put the boys in ski school which I highly recommend even if it is only for 1 day. Our boys had never even put on skis and after one day of ski school they were able to go to the top of the mountain and ride the green all the way down with us at the end of the day. You are going to have a great time! I also purchased my lift tickets through Costco which saved a lot of money but beware that if you enroll your kids in ski school, it include the lift tix.

Reply to: Family vacation to Park City. First visit, beginner skiers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted