We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski Itinerary 1feb - 13 feb

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney Australia
reviews: 2
Ski Itinerary 1feb - 13 feb

Another Happy New year from Sydney.

I would appreciate some suggestions on our second week. This is a mum and 15 year old daughter who love skiing. Previous seasons we have done Tahoe, Breck, Copper Mtn, Telluride and Snowmass - the later being our favourite. This is our first time to ski Utah.

First week all stitched up with a 7 night stay in Park City. On Sat 8 Feb have booked an intermediate SUV and will head to the other resorts. I know my daughter will just love Alta and Snowbird as she is a very good skier and loves the powder. I, on the other hand love the steep groomed runs with not much more powder than half way up the ski boot! Thus, I need suggestions of where we should base ourselves for about 4 nts accom. Factors to consider: we will have the SUV, though i don't really enjoy driving in snowy conditions ( did that last year on the way back to Denver airport - snowed all the way from Glenwood Springs until we got over Vail Pass - I tell you that was not very enjoyable). Do you think we should base ourselves in one location - like snowbird, which potentially limits ourselves to that resort if it snows ( As I won't be driving that car out of the parking lot!) or stay somewhere near the mouth of the Cottonwood Canyons, so we could try a different resort each day - if road conditions look bad here, I guess it still leaves the option of jumping on buses that still travel.

On another note we will take 1 or 2 days off to shop. Will probably do the Outlet store near Park City, but would like to know if it is worth having a shopping day in SLC. All suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

5 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 192
1. Re: Ski Itinerary 1feb - 13 feb

Given your interests in skiing, I would suggest you stay in Alta or Snowbird. Two very different experiences. At Snowbird, you can stay in the modern high-rise Cliff Lodge or one of the others in the central resort area around the tram. It's easy to ski either area, or get an Altabird ticket and ski both. Alta, on the other hand, provides with an old fashioned cozy lodge with a fireplace experience at Alta Peruvian, Alta Lodge, etc. What you ski depends on what falls from the sky and what you choose to ski - both of you will be just fine.

Yes, you are a bit landlocked there. But you will have had the shopping experience in Park City. Given that you're from Sydney, you may or may not find Salt Lake that interesting but for sure worth spending a day during your transition at the new City Creek Center downtown. Definitely hit the Park City Tanger Outlets while you are staying there.

Have fun and Happy New Year.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 36
2. Re: Ski Itinerary 1feb - 13 feb

Check out powder mountain. It is not a fancy PC or Tahoe resort. But, it has amazing skiing and leaves the most untouched powder. Well worth a day.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
3. Re: Ski Itinerary 1feb - 13 feb

Greetings and welcome to Utah. Happy New Year too.

As mentioned you could get the Altabird pass, but the resorts are big enough that skiing both in a day is a big undertaking. You drive to one or another on clear days and bunker down at one if a storm passes through. If it's a big storm the powder will definitely be over your boots. In a four day period though, it might not snow at all.

The drawback of staying in Cottonwood Heights at the mouth of the canyons is that if it does snow a lot, Little Cottonwood Canyon will often close for avalanche control. Then you are limited to Brighton and Solitude, which isn't a bad thing. But just cuts your options in half. I would rather wake up in the mountains too and not have the commute. If you did want to ski Solitude or Brighton, they would only be a 40 minute drive.

Shopping in SLC would be fun for an afternoon. Check out City Creek Center and Gateway just a few blocks away.

Sydney Australia
reviews: 2
4. Re: Ski Itinerary 1feb - 13 feb

Thanks for all your responses. I'm looking to stay in Snowbird for about 4 days. We may ski Snowbird for 1 day and Alta 2 days, as I may put my daughter into a 1/2 day class at Alta - it looks better value than Snowbird. Then we may have our final day shopping at City Creek.... but then one has to be flexible when staying in mountain conditions. The last two Jan 's we have done CO and snow has not been great. So thought we would come a bit later and try Utah as the saying is they get better snow......and of course CO appears to be getting more snow than Utah...we have another 3 weeks before arrival, so i hope Utah gets more snow!

Thanks again

Park City, Utah
reviews: 1
5. Re: Ski Itinerary 1feb - 13 feb

If it's in your budget, I would stay at Snowbird. Three reasons:

1. You come for the powder. Snowbird gives you about as good a chance as anywhere to experience great pow.

2. If you are so lucky as to experience a good snowfall, the traffic will be awful up Little Cottonwood Canyon. Assuming the road is open after avalanche control, it can take an inordinate amount of time to get up to Snowbird.

3. If you experience a great snowfall, The road may not open to regular traffic at all until late in the day.

4. If you experience no snowfall, at least you'll be able to pop in and out of your room without feeling guilty about not skiing first chair to last chair.

Just my .02.

Edited: 11:19 am, January 09, 2014
Reply to: Ski Itinerary 1feb - 13 feb
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted