We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone compare Steamboat vs Park City

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Poughquag, New York
reviews: 24
Can anyone compare Steamboat vs Park City

Looking to go next year for a week.. New Year's eve week. Family Trip of 12. Grandparents that will do some skiing but not much to my family with 4 teenagers looking for some challenging terrain to my brothers family that will have 4/1/2 twins looking into a school school.

After considering many mountains i think i have narrowed it down to Sliver Star Condos at Park City or Cimarron Townhouses at Steamboat. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

8 replies to this topic
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 51
1. Re: Can anyone compare Steamboat vs Park City

We've skied both areas, but I'm not familiar with either of those properties.

Park City & Steamboat are similar is that both were towns before they were ski resorts--PC mining, Steamboat ranching. And both are at similar (low for ski resorts) altitude.

One consideration would be travel from your home city. If you can fly non-stop to SLC, Park City is a 40 minute drive. If you can only get to Denver non-stop, you have to decide whether to fly to Hayden or drive to Steamboat, which is 150+ miles from Denver.

In Steamboat, you have one large (almost 3000 acres) resort; in Park City, you have 3, Park City Mountain Resort (3300 acres), the Canyons (3700 acres), Deer Valley (2000 acres). How much variety do you prefer?

Poughquag, New York
2. Re: Can anyone compare Steamboat vs Park City

Hi,

We can fly into steamboat non-stop so that case it would be even. We can't ski Deer Valley since we have snowboarders in the group. I know they are both low attitude compare to other mountains and based on historical snowfall. Steamboat seems to win. Since we have college age kids.. this is the only time we can get the whole family. But, i wonder if it is worth the risk of it being really crappy skiing like 2011.

Steamboat Springs...
reviews: 19
3. Re: Can anyone compare Steamboat vs Park City

No one can ever predict what it will be like each year. Historically the snow pack is usually decent by this time. I think altitude is a little overrated at this time of year, (at least at ski areas). It really comes down to where the storms are tracking. Everyone has cold enough temps to produce good snow as long as they show up.

It will always be a bit of a crap shoot, when the weather controls the environment you are depending on. Ask my buddy from Florida, who always asks me when the powder will be here. I say ...come for a week and you will likely get a couple snow days. Oh well, not the week he came. But.. we sure got slammed the day after he left.

Good luck on your decision!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 192
4. Re: Can anyone compare Steamboat vs Park City

As powderglut noted, you can't predict the snowfall so using it as a determining factor isn't really valid. Steamboat and Park City are very comparable. Not sure on your comment on elevation as Park City and Steamboat are virtually identical in that regard. Both are lower than some other resorts in their respective states. But for early season (which includes holiday week) a better factor is colder temperatures early for better snowmaking - that's what's going to make the difference in open terrain. And all are comparable in that area. Do note, however, that holiday week is early season and you're always rolling the dice compared to coming in February, for example.

In terms of community infrastructure (restaurants, shops, etc.), Park City is significantly larger and much more to do than Steamboat. Between PCMR and Canyons, far more terrain. For the non-skiers, there will be far more to do in Park City than Steamboat, although both are nice.

Silver Star and Cimarron are both nice. I would take Silver Star over Cimarron in terms of actual units, but Cimarron will offer you more in walking distance than Silver Star. What Silver Star does offer you is a private ski lift. But it is removed from the main base. Another condo complex to consider in Park City would be Snowflower. It's still not right in the base area but you can walk there, which you can't really do from Silver Star (although it does have free city bus).

You can fly non-stop to both places. You have many more flight options into SLC.

You honestly can't go wrong with either option, so I wouldn't burn too many brain cells on it. Both are great world class resorts with a lot of character.

Have fun.

Poughquag, New York
5. Re: Can anyone compare Steamboat vs Park City

tumbleweed - that is exactly what i am doing.. burning way to many brain cells trying to decide this. First it was Jackson hole, then Park City, then Steamboat.. Now someone in our group mention Winter Park. This is consuming me.. lol I have to decide soon and just go with it... Thanks..

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 192
6. Re: Can anyone compare Steamboat vs Park City

Funny! You know, though, half the fun is in planning.

Given the nature of your group, which is very diverse in nature with some avid skiers/snowboarders and some casual participants, I would strongy recommend against Jackson and Winter Park. Jackson Hole resort is a long ways from Jackson the city. Non-skiers will be bored. Winter Park is just small, not enough for non-skiers.

Given the nature of your group, either PCMR or Steamboat would be better choices. Just roll the dice, you can't go wrong.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 16
7. Re: Can anyone compare Steamboat vs Park City

Winter park can be reached by train from Denver. Great if staying in downtown Denver otherwise I would pass. Jackson hole in the summer is great, but in the winter for non-skier would not be very good. On top of that it's a hard ski area, not for green or easy blue skiers. Park city will have more to do for non-skiers and has more acreage. I have not been to Colorado to ski in years, prefer deer valley (spoiled) & whislter

Huntington, New York
8. Re: Can anyone compare Steamboat vs Park City

From what I can remember, the town of Steamboat Springs is about a 10 minute drive from the ski resort, whereas Park City is right at the foot of Park City resort. If you have a bunch of non-skiers, it might be more convenient for everyone if the town is right there.

Reply to: Can anyone compare Steamboat vs Park City
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted