We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Craigslist vacation rentals: legit or scam?

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
258 posts
221 reviews
Craigslist vacation rentals: legit or scam?

I am looking to come to Sundance next month and seeking a vacation rental, and the Tripadvisor ones being expensive, I turned to Craigslist where there are several good-sounding options. But without reviews, I have no way of knowing if they are legit or, like in places like NYC, they are known to turn out to be scams... Do you have any knowledge or experience of these? I'm scared to pay for somewhere, fly to Park City, and find myself poor and homeless... Thanks!

11. Re: Craigslist vacation rentals: legit or scam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:06 pm, May 12, 2014
Park City, Utah
1 post
2 reviews
12. Re: Craigslist vacation rentals: legit or scam?

Do NOT rent any vacation rental on Craigslist! I was recently swindled out of $2500 by trusting an ad on Craigslist. I thought I was paying half down for a legitimate town home in Park City for the month of July. Then when I canceled and requested a refund, it never came. It turned out to be a full-fledged scam.

Only use trusted websites. VRBO and Airbnb are safer. Research the address of the property location before sending money! I thought it was a legitimate transaction because I wired money to a US bank account (not Western Union or Moneygram). I'm going through the biggest hassle now, and will likely never get my money back.

13. Re: Craigslist vacation rentals: legit or scam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 13, 2015