We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

QuickStart cancelled: No more same day flying and skiing

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 16
QuickStart cancelled: No more same day flying and skiing

Does anybody know why the Park City Chamber of Commerce cancelled this program at the last minute? I booked my flight back in September and at that time their website indicated that it was still on. I just checked it and it looks like they cancelled it. This was a huge selling feature over other towns; not paying for a lift ticket when skiing two hours in the afternoon, on the day you land, really made Park City a better vacation deal than other places. This program made choosing Park City a no-brainer; we'll be trying out a different destination next year.

17 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
reviews: 1
1. Re: QuickStart cancelled: No more same day flying and skiing

A lot of the chatter around town suggests it has something to do with the Epic pass at Canyons. I'm not sure how this comes into play, but the sub-$600 season pass Vail offers is causing a wrinkle in the Park City status quo.

Alta, however, offers a 50% off ticket on the day of arrival. You must register early to take advantage.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
2. Re: QuickStart cancelled: No more same day flying and skiing

About a month ago, a poster directly contacted the PC Chamber of Commerce to ask this very question. The response they got was that the resorts were trying to promote the accessibility of Park City from SLC airport, as opposed to driving for 2-5 hours going to ski areas in Colorado or Wyoming. They felt that after running the program for 10 years, it had accomplished the objective. How accurate or honest that information is, I don't know. Could be PR spin, but seems reasonable. The new competition in town may have something to do with it, but that is speculation as well.

Edited: 12:59 pm, November 29, 2013
Plantation Florida
reviews: 101
3. Re: QuickStart cancelled: No more same day flying and skiing

I found the thread, it's here.

tripadvisor.com/…53518569

A rep from visitparkcity.com said: "The decision to end Quick START was jointly made by all three resorts and the Chamber/Bureau; the offer was intended to create awareness of our ease of accessibility and after ten years the thinking was that the message had gotten out. So, no tie-in with Vail taking over Canyons."

---------------------

I feel Alta will be the winner here with the half off ticket the day you fly in. Only thing is, they're not open at night, and if you don't rent an SUV, and the main road is snowed over, there's no way to get there. The 951 bus picks up once in the morning, and returns later that afternoon.

It was a nice perk, but the slopes are crude by late afternoon / evening.

----------------------------

Ease of Access regarding PC? Yes, it's easy getting there, but lately the hotel prices have gone up, so have the lift tickets, which is why I stay in SLC to save money.

Edited: 1:42 pm, November 29, 2013
phoenix
4. Re: QuickStart cancelled: No more same day flying and skiing

I am switching to Alta. Here is their 50% off link. Good deal for family of four.

unofficialnetworks.com/fly-slc-50-lift-ticke…

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 1
5. Re: QuickStart cancelled: No more same day flying and skiing

This is BS. Loved this program and always booked the early-morning flights to get it. Other destinations just got a lot more attractive. I think Park City is getting a little too big for its britches.

Plantation Florida
reviews: 101
6. Re: QuickStart cancelled: No more same day flying and skiing

Right, I'm also looking to book right now. In the past, I always visited PC the night I flew in, even if it was under the lights and only PayDay was open. But now I'm looking at Snowbird and only one PC resort.

I don't think the PC chamber of commerce understands what they've done. Most flights arrive in the afternoon, or later in the day. It really wasn't killing them to give an afternoon freebee away. There is no way I'm paying to ski late afternoon, when most of the runs are crud. There's also the fact of people spending money when they drive to PC that first night and visit (grocery stores, ski shops, rentals).

All that goes away if people make SLC their base instead of the PC area. Yes, it's easy to reach PC, but people still want a freebee the day they arrive. I guess they'll find out as more people visit Snowbird and Alta.

new york city
reviews: 17
7. Re: QuickStart cancelled: No more same day flying and skiing

I agree with everyone that cancelling this plan was a big mistake for PCCC. It always encouraged me to fly in early and stay in PC. With that perk missing, it's not as compelling to stay in PC. I, too, will take advantage of the 1/2 price tiks Snowbird and Alta offer. How shortsighted of the chamber of commerce!

Vermont
8. Re: QuickStart cancelled: No more same day flying and skiing

I am a little late in learning about no more quick pass. Usually we would fly in early and take advantage of quick pass and stay 1 or2 nights in PC. Then we would load up on groceries in Kimball Jct. and drive towards little Cottonwood Canyon to finish up our stay, as SNOWBIRD/ALTA ROCK! I am planning our 2015 western ski trip and will not be going to PC at all due to NO QUICK PASS. The only reason we went there was to take advantage of this very unique offer. Did not know of ALTA offer until now, and will be skiing ALTA the day we land.

LOVE THE UTAH POW!!

Orlando, Florida
reviews: 2
9. Re: QuickStart cancelled: No more same day flying and skiing

Just booked our trip for 12. Went online to find the first day free deal. SOOOO bummed. :(

Moab, Utah
reviews: 4
10. Re: QuickStart cancelled: No more same day flying and skiing

Might have something to do with the fact that PCMR has lost it's lease and is currently in a legal battle over a new one with Talisker Corp. Despite the picture painted by the resort some feel that the 2014/15 season is questionable at best.

sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/58340046-90/pcmr-…

Reply to: QuickStart cancelled: No more same day flying and skiing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted