We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Park City from East Coast

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Harrisburg, PA
1 post
First Trip to Park City from East Coast

Hi,

We are making our first trip to Park City from the Philadelphia area for Snowboarding this year. Looking at two different weeks Feb 4 - 9 or Feb. 25 - Mar 1. Any preference one week vs the other? Also, more importantly we are trying to find a place to stay. Can anyone recommend a hotel or condo to stay in? We are 4 guys 26-28 years old. Looking to snowboard and get some food and beers downtown afterwards, but nothing crazy. Preference would be something that is walking distance/short ride to downtown. We will be flying in and renting a car so we are looking to keep costs low. We are splitting it by 4, so that helps. we are staying 5 nights. I have seen some condo's for 320 a night. I'd like to come out paying 1/4 at $400 or less for the 5 nights. Preferably less, but that is our max. If anyone knows of a hotel with a continental breakfast, please let me know. Mainly care about breakfast, affordable, location, sleeps 4 (okay with sharing beds), hot tub a plus.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: First Trip to Park City from East Coast

If you care about breakfast, look at PC peaks hotel, huge buffet breakfast. 2 rooms night be in your budget. PC bus stops right in front of hotel and will take to directly to PCMR or the Canyons. You can take the bus to Main street too and just leave the car parked at the hotel.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: First Trip to Park City from East Coast

Greetings Steve, welcome to the Rockies.

If it were me, I'd probably opt to come out the latter date. Might be a touch warmer with a little more snow. But I don't think the other is a bad choice. The base should be plenty deep by the end of January. Then it's simply luck of the draw if you're here for great powder days. There is no way to predict it.

There is a free town shuttle that goes to all of the ski resorts as well as Main Street, so a car rental isn't vital unless you were wanting to get out and explore on your own or go to Snowbird or another nearby area for a day. You'd have to check shuttle prices to get to Park City or see if your lodgings offer a a service though.

For lodging try Marriott Summit Watch on Main Street. It's not as upscale as the Sky Lodge but would put you within walking distance of everything. High West Distillery would be nearby. You could take the town shuttle to ride at The Canyons for a day or two. Not sure how prices would look in Feb. And there is a town lift that goes from Main Street up to PCMR. It's essentially ski in/out.

A couple of local breweries in town are Squatter's Ale House and Wasatch.

Level Contributor
91 posts
227 reviews
3. Re: First Trip to Park City from East Coast

Canyons is ski-in, ski-out with 1-3 BR units at the Grand Summit incl kitchen ( but it does not sound that you are looking for self-catering) We personally like the advantage of eating-in bfst in our condo to save on $$$ and head out for dinner/lunch only - or have pizza delivery. Grand Summit offers shuttle service to downtown PC or you can hang out at Drafts in the resort village. Airport transportation is about $80-120.00/ party of 4, one-way should you opt not to rent a car. If you like to ski other areas, head to Snowbasin - amazing!

check www.vrbo.com/185527 for availability - you will most likely get better artes in early FEB - 1st March week is spring break for some East Coast

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
120 reviews
4. Re: First Trip to Park City from East Coast

Later date will be better. Warmer temps, people ski in t-shirts.

I'm going to sound like a broken record, but if you are on a super budget, make SLC the base and drive out to Park City each day. My trip report is here.

www.nogodforme.com/ParkCityResort2012.htm

There's a bar downtown in Park City called O'Schucks with cheap beer and burgers. The thing is, the beer is low alcohol, you'll get full before any kind of buzz. So it's better to head back to the room and get ready for the next day of skiing. Page with that report is here.

www.nogodforme.com/ParkCityResort2011.htm

You're basically going to have to sort the hotels in Park City by price for the dates you want to go, and see if you can find anything. Otherwise, stay in SLC and drive back and forth. Downtown is also where you catch the 951 bus to Alta / Snowbird if you want to check out those resorts.

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
37 posts
5. Re: First Trip to Park City from East Coast

Later dates will likely get you better deals on lodging because of spring break as Travel2Adventure mentioned. VRBO.com should provide you with some lodging leads for those dates. Keep in mind that if you are renting a vehicle, you are within a 10 minute drive to anything in Park City so don't look past places towards the 224/I-80 junction (Kimball Junction) area. Easy drive or free bus ride down 224 to get to the resorts and main street. Haven't skied in a t-shirt in February in Park City in years, so I would disagree with robvia on that one- although you have a good shot at getting some sort of snow accumulation with spending 5 days in Park City. Check out liftopia.com for lift ticket deals too. Happy planning!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: First Trip to Park City from East Coast

Salt Lake wouldn't be as rustic or scenic as scenic as staying in PC. SLC is more sprawled, but it is a decent option if PC hotels are too pricey. Downtown SLC will have cheaper hotels and still several bars within walking distance like Squatters, Red Rock, Gracie's, Beerhive Pub, Bourbon House, Green Pig etc. The commute would be about 30 minutes or so if you had your own car. Draught beer and store bought beer is 3.2. But if you buy micro bottles or imports from a bar, brewery like Epic, or the state liquor store, they will be full strength. They usually have free concerts at The Canyons every Saturday in March too. Check their event calendar in a couple of months for the lineup.

Edited: 4:56 pm, October 21, 2013
7. Re: First Trip to Park City from East Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 23, 2014