We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time ski trip to Utah. Nervous about Sundance mania.

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 2
First time ski trip to Utah. Nervous about Sundance mania.

We're two young professionals, kind of on a budget (esp. b/c Sundance drives up lodging costs), who have to travel over the MLK weekend, January 18-21, 2014. We are skiing at Canyons. Though it would be fun to catch a film one evening, skiing and enjoying some apres ski and worthwhile supper spots are the priorities. I've already made a note to reserve Fireside Dining at Deer Valley for one night, but do we have to reserve most meals in advance? How about lunch on the slopes? We like to play it by ear sometimes. Any advice on this or general advice on how to make the most of our 3-night/4-day trip during this busy time would be appreciated! Thanks!

13 replies to this topic
Nashville, Tennessee
11. Re: First time ski trip to Utah. Nervous about Sundance mania.

Thanks for the tips. If we can't find affordable lodging at Canyons, we'll have to consider places outside PC.

Plantation Florida
reviews: 100
12. Re: First time ski trip to Utah. Nervous about Sundance mania.

Right, there's nothing to worry about. If you can't find an affordable VBRO in PC, then you stay in SLC and drive. There's plenty of free parking at each resort, so staying on site is not needed just to visit for a dinner. I know staying on site makes you "feel" like part of the action, but saving money also counts.

At Park City, you put your car at the bottom of the first time lift and you're steps from the car at the end of the day. At the Canyons, you park in a free lot, and take a sky people mover system to the village. It's kinda neat, you stand in a basket that takes you from the parking lot to the main village area. At Deer Valley, they have shuttles the run from the parking lot to the main area.

I just looked up the Hilton Garden Inn downtown, a 1 bedroom suite with a spa bath, goes for $143 a night advanced purchase. That's $429 total, a difference of $241 off the $670 you missed out on. That would make me forget about the VBRO mess very quickly, even it it means driving 40 minutes each day. I'd continue looking for another VBRO, but have the HGI as the back up. That's where I plan to stay. There"s a Whole Foods 10 minutes down the street, and a few other places that serve healthy food.

Nashville, Tennessee
13. Re: First time ski trip to Utah. Nervous about Sundance mania.

Happily, lodging has been reserved. Based on advice, I attempted to reserve Fireside Dining at Deer Valley. Unfortunately, it is only available on Wednesday through Saturday evenings and the one night that would work for our travel dates, Sat. Jan. 18, 2014, has been "bought out" by a company, so no reservations are being accepted for that night. Just FYI for others looking around this time.

The maitre d' with whom I spoke suggested the Deer Valley Seafood Buffet instead. It has mixed reviews and is $64/person + tax + tip. We're not fancy people, but I would like to get just one "nice" supper reserved ahead of time for our trip. Thoughts on Seafood Buffet? I appreciate the help and advice this forum has offered.

Reply to: First time ski trip to Utah. Nervous about Sundance mania.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted