We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first trip (almost)

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 45
first trip (almost)

I say this is almost my first trip because I imagine things will be very different then when I was last there-1992. In 92 I stayed a week at the Cliff Lodge at Snowbird and did a day trip to Deer Valley. I have very fond memories of that trip and in particular DV. I also remember trying to decide if my side trip was going to be DV or... Park West! I just got done looking at that 92 trail map for DV, and oh father time has apparently been good to DV's skiable acreage. So other than more terrain what else can I expect to find different?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 239
1. Re: first trip (almost)

Well, you'll find all of the good stuff still good or great. Since that time DV has had fairly significant expansion including the entire Deer Crest area with its own gondola coming off a base area on US40 to the east, plus the additional of Empire Canyon with a base lodge, three lifts and a massive 5-star hotel (The Montage). Another 5-star St. Regis is located in the Deer Crest area above Snow Park Lodge base.

Park West is now Canyons Resort and operated by Vail Resorts. Very significant expansion there, too, and I highly encourage you to try it.

On the Snowbird side, entire backside of Mineral Basin has been added, plus assorted new lifts on main side. Lots more to come in next few years. Best skiing deal out there is the Alta-Bird pass that gives you both areas for a reasonable amount more.

Have fun, you'll enjoy it.

Nashville, Tennessee
2. Re: first trip (almost)

Headed out in Feb and will be staying at the St Regis this time around as my base so I will stick to the 3 areas in PC. I never got a chance to check out Park city the town either so I am looking forward to that too. I can't ski 6 days in a row so I will take a day to recoup and to see the town and maybe do other things too. Park West...err Canyons has grow quite a bit too I see.

Edited: 1:13 am, October 09, 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
3. Re: first trip (almost)

Welcome back Kelly.

Park City will be much different than in 1992. Some of it is good and some bad. More McMansions, strip malls, condos and parking lots litter the mountain sides and small valley. But that infusion of money has also created better restaurants, hotels, and infrastructure. Much of it is very high end though.

Park West... haha. That was even before Wolf Mountain... Yeah check out The Canyons. It is much, much different and is a huge ski area now with a ski base full of nice hotels and restaurants. They also have North America's only heated chair lift, The Orange Bubble. Kind of a gimmick, but colorful and neat looking at the same time. The adjacent Pine Pine Gondola takes skiers to access the other mountains, you can't even see from the base of the resort. The Canyons looks the part. A Park City ski area that can compete with Deer Valley and PCMR.

PCMR might be fairly similar. I can't remember when they built their mountain village, but it already seems very outdated compared to Deer Valley and The Canyons. They do have the Mountain Coaster for those wanting to take a break from skiing.

Deer Valley, as noted, has seen a fairly significant real estate expansion in Empire Pass full of multimillion dollar condos and the 5-star Montage Resort. St. Regis is a nice addition with amazing food in Deer Crest.

Even lower Main Street has been completely revamped. There are hotels, restaurants and bars past Heber Ave now.

Another addition further away is Utah Olympic Park and the subsequent construction of "New Town". A development closer to Salt Lake and the Interstate, but further from the Historic District. I think the free Park City shuttle buses even run out there. You'll have to check a schedule to make sure.

Snowbird will largely be the same in terms of infrastructure, but opened the backside of the mountain called Mineral Basin. When they open the gates on a powder day, it's like helicopter skiing. Have fun planning.

Nashville, Tennessee
4. Re: first trip (almost)

I do have one question... i am spending the night at the Sheraton in SLC the night before i head to the St Regis for another 6 nights. What would be the best way to get to the St Regis? I don't really want to rent a car. Do the shared shuttles go to the Sheraton or do they only pick up at the airport? Any shuttle recommendations for this scenario?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
5. Re: first trip (almost)

Plenty of shuttle services, but I'm not exactly sure of the shared ones. The hotels may have better info. St. Regis may have specific recommendations and deals for guests as well.

visitparkcity.com/visitors/…

Newport Beach, CA
reviews: 47
6. Re: first trip (almost)

Contact allresort.com to ask about a shuttle from the Sheraton to the St. Regis. They also have Town Cars nad private SUVs, and I am certain that one of those could take you. There is also a regular bus from SLC to PC, but I don't know the schedule or exact locations for drop-off and pick up. I think the concierge at St. Regis would be a great resource for your ground transportation. While you're at it, ask the concierge to book a few restaurant reservations for you. Things can book up. You can always cancel if you change your mind. You're going to love the St. Regis, and I think you'll have a great time skiing.

Nashville, Tennessee
7. Re: first trip (almost)

Speaking of booking up...i just booked this a couple of days ago and was barely able to get a room there. They had already sold out of several room types. It is me traveling alone and I had to get a Deluxe room with 2 queen beds as all the king rooms were gone and then only for 5 nights. I had to be put on a wait list to get that 6 night (which i did get right after)

Thanks! I will look into allresort.com

I had not even thought about the restaurants filling up. I will have to look into that soon i guess.

I will be looker for some cheaper places to eat though outside of the St Regis. Any suggestions for food that is going to be less expensive and causal (burgers, pizza, Thai, Chinese)? I am sure I will have a few meals there at the STR but I don't want to eat there every day and night for sure.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
8. Re: first trip (almost)

Squatters Ale House is a local micro brewery with decent food including breakfast. Wasatch is another local brewery and has great beer, food is just okay. Maxwell's is an East Coast Pizzeria in New Town. Here is some more options. There are a few options from Greek, deli sandwiches, Thai, Sushi, Mexican etc... all scattered about, in the towns strip malls. I can't remember any of the names of the top of my head, but locals in Park City can point you in the right direction. There should be plenty of options.

tasteofparkcity.com/2009/05/the-locals-know-…

Providenciales
reviews: 8
9. Re: first trip (almost)

We are a family of 5 kids ranging in age from 19 down to 12. We would like a nice place to stay 2/3 beds with availability of hot dub and near to shops/restaurants/ and most importantly the ski lifts as we don't want to travel far each day...ski in ski out would be best for us... We are a range of ski ers... Most of us have only ski d once before so a range of mountant options would be good also... Can anyone help .. E

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
10. Re: first trip (almost)

Eleanor81, greetings and might I suggest that you begin a new thread. People likely didn't notice you posted a question on another persons topic.

To answer your question, I would recommend staying on Main Street so you have access to the Town Lift at PCMR, are a short bus ride from Deer Valley, a longer ride to Canyons, and also have the amenities of Main Street at your disposal. Options would be Marriott Summit Watch, Caledonian, and the Sky Lodge.