We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park City vs Deer Valley season pass

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
reviews: 31
Park City vs Deer Valley season pass

Hi all, I recently moved to Utah, and am currently looking at season pass at Park City/Deer Valley. I'm a skier and have heard many good things about DV but never skied at either.

PC has significantly cheaper price (especially I'm currently at school), why is DV so much more expensive? Do they really perks that can justify that price?

Thanks!!

5 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
1. Re: Park City vs Deer Valley season pass

I've grown up in Utah and have never skied at Deer Valley because it's always been the most expensive resort around. They cater to a very affluent clientele. Deer Valley is buying status, a luxury brand. Deer Valley is has about 1,000 less skiable acres than PCMR. I think where Deer Valley excels is in customer service and grooming standards. The runs are supposedly immaculately groomed each day. They also limit the number of tickets sold in a day, so lines aren't as long and it doesn't get too crowded. The food in the nearby lodges and restaurants is amazing. And Deer Valley opened Empire Canyon a few years back which gave the resort much coveted expert terrain, which it had been lacking previously.

PCMR is a great resort. If you're into terrain parks and half pipes they have one of the best in the world and you may be sharing space with X Games medalists and Olympians.

There is the new Best of the Wasatch passes that allow season pass holders to ski 3 days at Snowbird, Alta, PCMR and Deer Valley. This is to compete with The Canyons inclusion in the Epic Pass with access to Vail and some of the Tahoe resorts. You might just want to go cheaper and still get a couple of free days at Deer Valley included. And IMHO, the skiing in Little Cottonwood Canyon is much better anyway, than any of the PC resorts. PC just has better amenities and infrastructure but not better mountains or snow quality and depth.

skiutah.com/media/recent_news/alta-ski-area-…

Edited: 2:53 pm, September 27, 2013
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 200
2. Re: Park City vs Deer Valley season pass

The two just market themselves differently. Both are great resorts, as is Canyons (Epic Pass). DV does limit lift ticket sales and its business model is different. If you're looking to save, your choice is clear on PCMR. With DV you're buying an intangible. You will enjoy skiing there. I would also consider the Epic Pass at Canyons, which is an amazing value.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, UT
reviews: 9
3. Re: Park City vs Deer Valley season pass

Did you actually move to Park City? (I'm seeing "student" and thinking university...therefore living somewhere in the Salt Lake Valley). Because, if you're living in the SLC area, it makes much more sense to get a pass at one of the Cottonwood Canyon resorts.

Of PC & DV, both have ample terrain, but I prefer the unabashedly upscale environment of DV. On a more practical note, DV doesn't allow "knuckledraggers". I've come to tolerate our snowboarding brethren, but when they're not there, I don't miss them.

San Diego...
4. Re: Park City vs Deer Valley season pass

I think it depends on what vibe you're looking for. In my 40s now, and being a skier only, I love the seemingly more serene environment of Deer Valley. The service is outstanding. They cater to your every need, and the last time I was there, I tried to tip the guy who carried my skis to the car, etc, and he said "no tips, it's part of our service". It's like this at all the Deer Valley facilities, personnel constantly looking out for a need you might have. I love that there are no snowboards, and smaller lines, and not as much of the Gen X vibe and everything that comes with it going on. If you're younger and are worried more about price then I would say PCMR is your better bet. If you just want high service, no hassle skiing, and can afford a bit more, I'd go for Deer Valley.

Park City, Utah
reviews: 1
5. Re: Park City vs Deer Valley season pass

PCMR had advantage in terms of price. Meanwhile DV has advantage in not having out of control snowboarders who don't even know how to carve turns (or stop before hitting people) which can be worth its price in gold. Lunches also far better DV. FYI -- i did PCMR last year, this year Canyons, next year ???

Reply to: Park City vs Deer Valley season pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted