We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving over to Park City 1st week in Jan

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, CO
reviews: 66
Driving over to Park City 1st week in Jan

We live in CO and have passes at Copper and Epic Pass. Was thinking of driving over to park city the week of new years and going to Park City resort and Canyons, using our discount.

Are conditions pretty sketchy this time of year like in CO?

Any good cheaper places to stay? we will have a car.

It will be my son (11)=ussa ski racer, myself (skier) and my wife (observer).

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 202
1. Re: Driving over to Park City 1st week in Jan

For sure, being a holiday week, it's going to be busy and expensive. With New Year's falling on a Wednesday this year, I would suspect that the latter part of that week and the Jan. 4-5 weekend will be better than the previous for finding something reasonable. GIven that you have a non-skier, I do highly recommend that you find a place in Park City as opposed to outlying areas. Cheaper options would be at the I-80 intersection around Kimball Junction, Newpark, Redstone, etc. There's a Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn and Best Western. Also check Newpark Resort and maybe even VRBO.com for condos in that area.

Conditions should be similar to what you find in Colorado that time of year, but do consider that elevation is about 1,000 feet or more lower than comparable resorts there.

For the drive over, I-25 to US287 in Fort Collins to I-80 in Laramie is fastest way over. Do watch weather in Wyoming as it gets nasty there on occasion.

Where does your son race out of?

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
2. Re: Driving over to Park City 1st week in Jan

I would still expect some of the resorts to be closed until they get enough coverage. Obviously some years are better than others at masking the exposure of early season conditions. The P.C resorts do a great job at grooming though and Park City is known for having one of the best terrain parks in the world, if your son is into hits and jibs. Not sure how long you'll be in town but you could always drive a half hour towards Salt Lake and then up Little Cottonwood Canyon to check out Snowbird or Alta, which I consider the best skiing in the state.

Denver, CO
3. Re: Driving over to Park City 1st week in Jan

My son races for Team Summit out of Copper, Keystone and Breck. He is a U14.

I was messing around with Priceline and submitted a price of $130/night for a 3 star place. Didn't think anything would happen with it, but got the Yarrow resort in PC. Wouldn't have been my first choice for the around $200 going rate but for $130, seems good.

Edited: 3:25 pm, September 26, 2013
Denver, CO
4. Re: Driving over to Park City 1st week in Jan

Thanks!

Reply to: Driving over to Park City 1st week in Jan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted