We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

park city or canyons w/10 y.o at Christmas?

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Providence, RI
reviews: 5
park city or canyons w/10 y.o at Christmas?

We are considering either PC or Canyons over Christmas week this year with our 10 y.o. son who is an intermediate skier. He learned to ski at Deer Valley, but then developed a dislike for their ski school, and we had condo issues on the last of our three visits. Which area is more kid friendly and has the better ski school for when he is not skiing with us? I am an expert skier, and DH is advanced intermediate or a little better. He was out of commission last year with an ACL reconstruction, so this will be his first time skiing after a year off. he is pretty fit otherwise, and the second time he is recovering from this surgery (previous one on other knee was 10 years ago).

We generally ski in March, so this will be our first experience as a family over the busy Christmas week.

4 replies to this topic
San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 18
1. Re: park city or canyons w/10 y.o at Christmas?

There will be more stuff to do at the resort base at PCMR then the canyons

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
2. Re: park city or canyons w/10 y.o at Christmas?

I personally like riding a PCMR over The Canyons. Though The Canyons isn't definitely isn't bad and I go there often. There are just a lot of cat tracks to get from once place to another, which isn't fun on a snowboard. I think the snow quality at PCMR is a little better too. They tend to groom more and might even be at a higher elevation so the snow doesn't melt as much. PCMR will have the annual torch light parade on Christmas Eve, I believe. PCMR is the more established of the two and has a great reputation for ski school.

I will say, The Canyons is newer and the base at PCMR feels a little dated and in need of renovation. Both will be kid friendly. I always see kids in the swimming pools while I'm riding the lifts. PCMR might have some litigation you may wish to follow about their current or expired lease. Also note that the base of both mountains is relatively low. While they will have some runs open by Christmas, often the entire resort must wait a couple of more snow storms for the entire mountain to get covered. It changes from year to year and there is no way to predict how much terrain will be open by Christmas.

Providence, RI
reviews: 5
3. Re: park city or canyons w/10 y.o at Christmas?

thanks for the replies. Any condo recommendations in either PC or Canyons?

Park City, UT
4. Re: park city or canyons w/10 y.o at Christmas?

Park City area- check out the Marriott Mountainside (slopeside, right at the base of Park City Mountain Resort). Canyons area- check out the Waldorf Astoria and the Grand Summit. If you are renting a vehicle, there are plenty of condo/town home options just off the main base of these resorts. Also keep in mind that Park City offers a free bus system to get around town too. Check out VRBO if you haven't already.

Reply to: park city or canyons w/10 y.o at Christmas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted