We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October 12-18 visit - Guardsman Pass

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 5
October 12-18 visit - Guardsman Pass

Can anyone tell me if this road/pass should be open in mid-October? Will Salt Lake City be past it's prime with fall foliage. We're making a last minute trip to get away and hike and enjoy the outdoors and wondering if this week "should be" too late in the season.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
11. Re: October 12-18 visit - Guardsman Pass

I was up there a week from yesterday. So I guess Oct 1 and Oct 6.

Ogden, Utah
12. Re: October 12-18 visit - Guardsman Pass

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure it's still pretty, but I think I'll wait until next Fall, because I do love the reds, in addition to the yellow aspens. I thought the aspens were spectacular on the Alpine Loop yesterday. I guess the aspens aren't as susceptible to draught and hot weather as the maples? Probably because the aspens' roots go so deep? Would that make sense? Also, they are up high in a cooler locale than the lower growing maples?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 239
13. Re: October 12-18 visit - Guardsman Pass

Aspens are more pre-dominant in this region. There really isn't much for reds in Guardsman, but a killer route for reds is SR222 between Guardsman and Midway. I did that route two weeks ago and it was gorgeous. You can pickup some of them from Guardsman looking south, but not many.

I haven't done Alpine Loop yet but heard it's great. Frankly, from having driven around quite a bit photographing, the absolute most stunning aspens right now are right in the heart of Park City, along the entire ridgeline. It's much more brilliant than Guardsman or Big Cottonwood.

Have fun.

Ogden, Utah
14. Re: October 12-18 visit - Guardsman Pass

Yes, I saw those bright aspens on the way over to Midway the other day. So you thought the reds were good this year? I heard on the news they were much duller than normal this year, and when I called Wasatch State Park a few weeks ago they said they were very dull this year, that they never went bright as in past years. They said that at their brightest they were not very bright at all. So I didn't go over, but it sounds as if you liked them?

Ogden, Utah
15. Re: October 12-18 visit - Guardsman Pass

Can you post some photos of this year's reds along SR222, TumbleweedandCactus? I'd love to see them.

USA
reviews: 6
16. Re: October 12-18 visit - Guardsman Pass

I drove SR222 and around Was Mtn SP on Sept 26 and it was beautiful. Lots of beautiful color.

Edited: 8:01 am, October 10, 2013
Ogden, Utah
17. Re: October 12-18 visit - Guardsman Pass

Was it super bright? Last year we were a bit disappointed. The reds were not as red as in a prime year. They were more of a dull orange. News reports this year said colors were duller than last year. I called the Fall Foliage Hotline (while it was still working), and it was discouraging, saying the leaves had not done right this year due to the drought.

USA
18. Re: October 12-18 visit - Guardsman Pass

It was surprisingly beautiful. Perhaps the reds weren't as red as prior years, I don't know....if they say so, but it was certainly worth the trip. Although, if you were disappointed last year, you may have been so again.

USA
19. Re: October 12-18 visit - Guardsman Pass

I should add, the reds at Snow Basin weren't as vibrant this year, so I understand the comment about the reds not being as good.

Ogden, Utah
20. Re: October 12-18 visit - Guardsman Pass

Well, leaves are leaves. You really can't go wrong enjoying the leaves any year. Glad you had fun and found the beauty in them! Got pics? I'd love to see them.